C H A P T E R T W O

"Off this island

This was an escape plan

Carefully timed it

So let me go

And dive into the waves below"
___
~ Labour by Paris Paloma

C H A P T E R T W O

After spending yet another night in the car, Maeve rubbed her neck.

"I can't believe you lived in there."

Robby looked up from the map wich he had been inspecting.

He looked bemused at her dramatic gesture.

Before he could answer, he was interrupted by their dad who came out of a kiosk they parked next to.

"All right. How are we looking?"

Robby looked at his phone and then at the map.

"I think I got it matched up to my phone. Only a few miles to go. Looks like a lot of bars and restaurants."

He showed them his phone.

Johnny took a bite from his wrap that he got and noticed a man standing near them.

"Here, let's ask this guy. Maeve you help me. Hola."

Maeve looked up wide eyed.

Sure she had taken Spanish classes at school, but she wasn't that good.

The man asked her dad if he could speak Spanish.

"No, America." Johnny replied not understanding one word.

"Mexico." The man told him confused before he began to speak Spanish and pointed at their van.

Both Johnny and Robby looked at Maeve for answers.

Maeve only recognized a few words.

"I think he said something about the van."

Johnny nodded and turned back to the man.

"Gracias. It's custom decal."

The man looked confused.

"I want man." Johnny said in Spanish before adding "Hector the Salazar."

The man began to talk to them again, but Maeve cold only understand that he didn't know the man they were looking for.

"He doesn't know him and he keeps on saying something about the van." Maeve told them.

"The guy wants money." Johnny told them, deciding that this is what the man said.

"No, no money." The man told them with something else that had to do with the van.

Maeve tried to concentrate. She had heard this before.

"No, you cannot have the van. It's very special. You tell me, donde Hector Salazar, I give you dineros, sÍ?" Johnny tried again.

The man held his hands up in frustration and walked away shouting something in Spanish.

"All right. Can you believe this guy?" Johnny laughed turning around to his kids.