6 ❄ drunk words are sober thoughts

(The man we've all been waiting for lmao)

One week before Tyler's death:

"I think it's best if you try tomorrow," Salem, Mara's roommate, sighs.

"That's what you said yesterday."

"Well, I thought she'd be ready to get out of bed today, but I was wrong...again."

"Just let me talk to her."

"She won't even talk to me, Eli! I doubt she'll talk to you," she says, crossing her arms over her chest.

"People tell me I'm pretty good at cheering people up. Now let me in," I say as I try to make my way into the room.

"Elias... trust me when I tell you that you don't want to be around Mara when she's upset. She tends to, uh, lash out."

"What do you mean, lash out?" I ask with a raised brow.

"Nothing. Just try again tom—" She was about to shut the door, but I stick my foot in between.

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen. She's the one who made this big deal about being my tutor and forcing me to come see her every day just to make sure I'm going to class. Now she needs to keep up with her end of the deal."

"Elias..."

"Just let me talk to her, S, and if she lashes out at me, then so be it."

"Fine...but it's your funeral," she shrugs before opening the door wide enough for me to walk in.

I fully expect Salem to follow me into their room, but to my shock, she grabs a large pink duffle bag and her keys from the table.

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"Dance practice. Good luck," she says, giving me a weird salute thing before walking out of the dorm.

Alright...thanks a lot, Salem.

I let out a sigh before knocking on the bedroom door.

"Go away!" Mara's familiar voice yells.

"No can do! I need my tutor!"

She doesn't reply, and just before I could knock again, the door swings open.

My eyes widen when I find her in a giant hoodie, her hair pulled up in a messy bun, and her glasses barely hanging onto the tip of her nose.

"What are you doing here?" She mutters.

"Well, hello to you too, sunshine," I chuckle as I walk past her and into her room.

I notice her bed is all messy and full of unwrapped junk food and candy.

"Go away."

"Not gonna happen, sweetheart. I believe we made a deal and YOU aren't following through on your end."