10.21

has anybody here listened to 'the lamb as effigy' by sprain yet? oh my god it's literally taking over my mind i can't stop thinking about it.
          most people will definitely not enjoy it whatsoever, i don't really know how to describe it other than noise rock? but even that doesn't cover all of it. if you don't like long songs don't listen to this album, it's about an hour and a half long with 8 songs ... very long
          it manages to have such a tight tracklist though even though it's so long, every song is so good, and each song has a pretty distinct sound so you can always know what song you're listening to instantly. my personal favorites are the commercial nude and we think so i'll of you!!
          "all to casual a gesture,
          and the sun explodes anonymously
          and when it does,
          what will have CHANGGGEEDDDD"
          that part of the commercial nude is one of my favorite parts of any song that's come out in the last couple years honestly, it's so cool how they turn the feedback on as soon as the lead says explode, it's so awesome.
         "god, or whatever you call it" seems like it would be the most polarizing song on the album, and honestly i didn't really like it to start off. it's a huge huge track, with 24 minutes in length around. the second half is mostly one line repeated with sparse guitar and feedback. i hated it on first listen, the second half at least. the first half is as amazing as the rest of the album.
          but recently i've come to appreciate it, the meaning of it is so wild and the final climax of the song is one of the most rewarding parts of any song i've listened to.
          the second half is clearly about one thing, the lead singers conversation with 'the lamb' (god). it starts with his guess on what the conversation would be like, which is a very average conversation about the weather or how the lamb is.
"Would you not take me into your divine consideration?"
the lambs response is nothing but unintelligible static and layers of feedback stacked on top of one another. i take this in two ways, the singer not being able to truly understand what the lamb is saying, and the lamb playing with the lead singer, taunting his attempts to speak to the lamb and get any sort of closure and assurance in his life.
"Would you not be gentle in your examination?"
          another question from the lead singer that's met with the same taunting screeches. the singer knows he has sinned in some ways, he's just hoping for any means of pity from the lamb, and the lamb doesn't give in just yet.
          "Would you not have me sing you softly to sleep?
          I can't sing if you're looking at me"
          the next around 5 minutes of the song are this line repeated, with the singer more manically singing and shouting. i think this is just the singer trying to repent for the sins he's apparently done in his past and present. he doesn't sing just yet though. that is he reaches his breaking point and finally sings, and the lamb sings back at the end of the song, giving him his pity and allowing him to repent for his sins.

          this is just how i took the song, this is probably not what it means at all, but i thought i might take a stab at it. this whole album is truly amazing and if you're into weirder music i highly recommend it