Prologue

Hope, to some, emerges as the sole radiant beacon capable of leading even the most wayward of souls out of the abyss and into the embrace of light. To others, hope appears as a mirage, a tantalizing but elusive pledge that merely stokes the fires of despair and anguish in the hearts of the afflicted. The true nature and purpose of hope remain a profound mystery, and its very existence is often shrouded in doubt. Is hope merely a comforting illusion we cling to in our darkest hours, or does it indeed serve as a guiding hand, a flicker of light that pierces through the dense fog of corruption? The enigma of hope persists, its riddle waiting to be unraveled. So I ask, What is hope?

War, it spread like a cancerous disease, consuming all life in its path, leaving behind only the scars of devastation and despair. It coursed through the lands with no restraint, with no visible end in sight, as if it had become a never-ending night, casting its shadow over the once vibrant and flourishing realm. Under its malevolent influence, relentless forces thrived, united under the ruthless reign of a single monarch, Queen Demeter.

But as one superior force ascends, as will a challenger emerge from the depths of adversity. Where a villain rises, a hero is summoned by destiny to confront the encroaching darkness. Just as the night's grip tightens, the promise of dawn remains, waiting for its moment to shine.

Yet, shrouded in the cover of the ominous woods, a mysterious cloaked figure stood in silent vigil. The tattered cloak bore the marks of endless use, with patches missing, the fabric stained black, by soil, and the traces of old blood. The figure's eyes, once a piercing razor blue, now seemed clouded and lifeless, hidden behind a fogged white haze. They stared emptily, their gaze fixed on a useable horizon, emotionless.

The figure's mangled black hair hung down past their shoulders, further obscuring their features. They remained a spectral presence in the desolate forest, standing still amidst the heavy scent of decay and death that clung to the air like a malevolent shroud.

Time seemed to stand still, then, piercing the eerie silence, a hollow howl echoed through the empty forest, filling the still air with an otherworldly presence that sent shivers down the spine of any who might hear it.