The Underground

Blairs POV:

Wren? Seriously. That's the name I was given. Pathetic attempt to say the least. Rolling my eyes I scrolled through my phone re-reading every file I had.

"Take me to the underground Danny. I need to speak with Orion immediately." I spoke to the man driving me away from "Wren's" bar. "Yes ma'am" He spoke gently, catching my eyes through the rear view mirror. " Stop for an iced coffee on the way, please, I have a headache like no other tonight." I held my head in my hand as I felt Danny make a quick turn into the opposite direction of which we were going. "Thank you." I mumbled.

"Of course ma'am."

There wasn't any way they couldn't tell who I was, I thought to myself. We spent years together, they were in love with me, and yes I was in love with them. They were the first person I ever truly loved, there isn't any possible way they wouldn't be able to recognize me. I would have been able to recognize them in a crowd full of people. They gave me a fake name, do they know I gave them one too? I had so many questions running through my mind, but why, why did it matter if they recognized me or not. If anything, I should be relieved that I was able to snoop around and manage to get right to the boss without having to even lift a finger, let alone a weapon to protect myself. I was in the heart of the operation, acting as if my life truly wasn't on the line. Who did I think I was to full out admit that I was a drug lord, what if that would have been taken seriously. I could have ruined the whole operation, or worse, got myself killed. 

I must have been lost in my own thoughts, because by the time I looked back up, Danny had already gotten out of the car, grabbed my iced coffee and returned. He was in the process of handing me the drink as I snapped back into reality.

"Oh, thank you Danny, I am sorry, lost in my own thoughts today." I smiled wearily.

"It must be hard seeing the person you were in love with for so long, be the person you end up possibly having to hurt." Danny looked at me through the rear view mirror once again but this time you could see the genuine worry in his eyes.

 Danny was like a father figure to me, considering I never grew up around one. My dad passed away when I was younger and my mom took care of my sibling and I all by herself. Unfortunately, I wasn't mommy dearest' favorite. Danny though, I was his favorite from the day I walked in for a job. Everyone doubted me. Not Danny though, never Danny. 

"The key word here is; was, Danny. If it comes down to it, I will do what I have to do for the money and the territory." I took a sip of my iced coffee. "Ah, perfect, thank you." I nodded at him.

"You no longer love this person?" Danny asked, getting back into the driver's seat and driving off towards our second location.

"You can't love anyone in this field of business Danny. You know that better than I do." I looked out the window, placing my head against it as rain started to drop down around us, engulfing the car in the sounds of rain splashing against the windows and the screams of my own thoughts. 

"Here, ma'am." I jumped slightly, snapping back out of what felt like only a 30 second thought process.

"Thank you Danny." I nodded, stepping out of the car. 

Opening up my umbrella I began to walk to the bar to speak with Orion. I couldn't help but replay the night in my head. I lied about everything all the way down to my name, and they didn't notice who I was one bit. They looked down into my eyes and didn't recognize me. Ugh, why did that bother me so much. It's not like I was still in love with them. We chose to go separate ways years ago. They probably hated me and chose to forget all about me instead of thinking about me over the course of the years. Of course they weren't going to recognize who I was.  

"It was better that they didn't recognize me". I whispered out loud to try and reassure myself.

 I was there to collect the information I needed and to leave. I wasn't there to rekindle an old flame that didn't even light tonight. It was the better option if I was nothing and never meant anything in the first place. It would save me the pain if it came down to me having to do what I needed to do. It took me years to get to the place that I was at. I struggled for so long when my mother decided to take me off the family funds. I have always fended for myself and nobody and nothing was going to stand in the way of everything that I have created for myself here. 

"You no longer love this person?" Danny's words resurfaced in my thoughts.

 No, I didn't, I couldn't, even if I wanted to love them again it would ruin everything, or worse. It would kill them. Or me. 

Love does not exist in a field like mine. You have to make a choice. You can chose to love someone, but you have to always be willing to lose them. If you already have lost that person, then there is nothing left to lose. I chose to walk away when I did, because I knew that we would never work out. I just didn't know that we were more compatible than I thought. Now instead of working side by side like we could have done all those years ago, we are now enemies and the likelihood is, I'll have to kill you Kai. 

"If it results to pulling a gun on you. I will not hesitate to do so Kai." I reassured myself out loud again closing my umbrella and nodding towards the bouncer in front of me.

"I'm here to speak with Orion. It's urgent information that he's going to want to hear. Tell him its Blair Wrenfield."  I spoke to the man standing in front of me with a stone cold face. "Today. He's going to want to hear it today." 

"Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am." He spoke quickly before letting Orion know I had arrived. 

Walking down the stairs of the club, I was guided into Orion's office where he awaited my arrival excitedly. 

"Blair my sweet girl! How have you been? How are things?" He smiled at me.

"I'm here for business Orion." I smirked at the man sitting with his feet on his desk, leaned back into his chair, arms crossed against his chest. 

Orion was your typical, very attractive, cocky son of a bitch of a man. He wore all black , tight fitting clothes, that made his muscles stand out. A true mafia leader. Even in passing , you could tell that he was simply up to no good. There wasn't a bone in Orion's body, nor anyway that you could possibly look at him and think that he was just an owner of a club. Still, somehow, he managed to keep a low profile and even had cops helping him run his business. 

"Oh don't be like that, you know you don't have to come in here for just business. I am genuine when I ask you how things are Blair. You and I have a special bond!" He smirked at what you would think would be my eyes, but were in fact, not. 

Nodding I smiled at him and spoke "There is something definitely off about that place. I think I have an in with the person who runs the business. I can one hundred percent get into the office within a few weeks tops if you give me the space to do so."  

"Are you sure?" He sat forward.

 You can tell that once I gave him the information all of his urges to get me in his bed were off the table. I gave him something he wanted more than me. To get rid of the competition.