22 | Emotions

"Hajime." Kamukura said as his brother ate breakfast.

"Yeah?"

"When you come home from school later, can you do me a favor and bring me something?"

"Sure, but what?"

"Komaeda,"

"I can't just take him with me,"

"Tch. Just do it, I don't care,"

"I can't..? You have to ask him to hang out yourself,"

Kamukura glared at him. "Just ask him to hang out with me,"

"Fine, alright. You don't have to be an ass about it though,"

Kamukura left without saying another word. Hunata went to school eventually. When he entered the classroom, Komaeda wasn't there. "Tanaka? Do you know where Komaeda is?"

"I do not know,"

"I'll go look for h-him!" Tsumiki said, running towards the door. She ran against Hinata and they both fell over. "Waah!! I-I'm sorry!!" She said, not making any efforts to get off of him.

"Argh..." Hinata rubbed his face. "It's fine, can you get off now?"

"I-I'm so sorry! Forgive m-me!" She cried, still not moving.

"Tsumiki, I said it's fine. Just get off,"

Hanamura was staring at them weirdly. Tsumiki was still apologizing and not moving. Hinata pushed her off and got up.

"I-I'm sorry! Forgive m-me!" She whiped her tears.

"It's okay, damn! I forgive you! I didn't even care, but now you're annoying me for real!" He said.

"I'm sorryyyyyy!"

"Mikan-chan, come on, he said it's fine," Koizumi told her.

"B-but he's angry!"

"I'm not angry, I'm annoyed. And not 'cause you bumped into me, but because you keep rubbing yourself all over me for no damn reason. This isn't the first time you pulled this kinda thing. It's annoying," Everyone went silent and Hinata began feeling awkward. Maybe he shouldn't have said that... She didn't mean any harm anyway, right?

"Hinata-kun is right," Nanami said. "Just like Hanamura-kun, you need to respect people's boundaries,"

The door opened and Komaeda stepped into the classroom. "Good morning, everyone!" He smiled. "Oh! Why is Tsumiki-san crying on the floor?"

"'Cause I told her not to touch me when I don't want it," Hinata said.

Komaeda looked at the purple-haired girl. "Huh? She did what?"

"She tripped and fell on me and wouldn't get off after I told her to like 500 times,"

The pale boy frowned. "Why would you do that?" He asked Tsumiki.

"I-I..."

"That's not normal. Stop it. No one else does that. And Hanamura-kun doesn't count, he's weird too," He said to her.

"Uhm..."

Later that day, during lunch break, Hinata told Komaeda about what Kamukura said.

"My brother wants to hang out with you today,"

"Ah, really? I'd love to hear more facts from him!" He smiled. He texted his dad about it and after school, they both went to Hinata's place. Komaeda went to knock on the door of Kamukura's room and the other boy opened it.

"Hello, Komaeda,"

"Hey, Kamukura-kun!" They went to both sit down on the bed. "So, did you want to tell me more boat facts?" He asked, smiling.

"No,"

"Oh..." his smile fell.

"I want to tell you about something,"

"Other facts?"

"No, Komaeda. No other facts," Kamukura said.

"Oh..." his smile fell again.

The dark-haired boy looked him into the eyes. "I don't actually like boats,"

"Huh?? But-!" He pointed at the dozens of miniature boats Kamukura had built. "And-!" He pointed at the pirate costume. Kamukura gently grabbed his hand and pushed it down.

"I know, Komaeda. But I lied. My whole life, I have never felt emotions the way other people do. Because of that, I had no friends. And I did not care because I felt nothing,"

"Hm... But what does that have to do with boats?"

"I eventually noticed how much fun Hajime always has with his friends, and I wanted that too. Not feeling things is quite boring. But I cannot make friends without a personality. So I had to find something people could use to describe me. I chose to have something I'm interested in, like other people have. So, if someone asked you what I'm like, you could say 'He loves boats',"

"But... you do have a personality. You're obviously very dedicated, for example. And you're super smart,"

"Do you truly think so?"

Komaeda smiled once again. "Of course,"