Chapter 2

I sit on the rough cot in my shack, eyeing the soil on the outside. That's one of the pluses of my job. I get to work on it right next to the comfort of my home.

"Maya!" I suddenly heard someone call, startling me.

I turn around, and it's Harriet.

"The new guy just woke up, and I need you to show him around," she says.

"What?! Why me?" I ask.

"Because, Sonya and I have to hold a special meeting with the other Holders regarding the arrival of the boy. And you're the only other girl I know that won't swoon over this new guy," Harriet says, crossing her arms.

I would further protest, but I know getting into a heated argument with Harriet is not something you want to do. I know from past experience.

"Okay," I sigh.

Harriet smiles weakly and nods. "He is in the Holding Hut." She then walks away.

I stand up and proceed to the hut.

I open up the door, and start off the tour like I've seen Harriet and Sonya do before.

"So Newbie, I welcome you to the Gl-" I start, but pause as I glance up at the boy sitting on the bed. His astounding features catch me off guard. Dark brown eyes, dirty blonde hair, squared jaw. He looks... nice. No wonder the other girls have been so googly-eyed about him.

The boy looks at me, an eyebrow raised in confusion. I clear my throat. "Welcome to your new home," I manage to say, my voice cracking at the last word. I have such a way with words.

"Where am I?" the boy asks, a British accent lacing his words. His eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"You're in the Glade," I say, pushing myself not to allow my cheeks flush red.

"I can't remember anything," the boy says, staring down at his hands.

"I'm Maya," I say. "And it's normal. We were all sent here not remembering anything.

"We? There are others?"

"Yes," I reply.

The boys' face turns red with anger. "Who could do such a bloody thing?" he says incredulously.

"We aren't 100 percent sure, but we think it's an organization named WICKED," I reply.

"WICKED?" the boy says, scrunching up his nose.

"I'll explain more of it to you later," I say.

The boy sighs, obviously wanting more answers, but changes the subject. "Well, Maya, could you show me around this Glade?"

"Yeah," I say, then get to my feet.

The boy stands up. "By the way," he says, "I'm Newt. That seems to be the only thing I can remember."

"Nice to meet you, Newt," I say, and hold out a hand. He glances at me and pauses, then finally shakes it. The handshake sends a warm tingling sensation up my arm. Why am I feeling like this? I can't actually be falling for him. Can I?

We step outside of the shack and I start guiding him around the Glade. I stop in front of the lunch house. "This is the... Mess Hall," I say, sarcastically waving my hands back and forth in the air.

Newt raises an eyebrow, but I see a slight smile forming. I then guide him towards the Fields, where I'm supposed to raise my crops, but instead do so near my shack.

I show him the rest of the buildings in the Glade, then show him the thing he's probably been wondering about the most the entire time I gave him the tour.