School Begins

The smell of Cafe Bustelo brewing at 6:30 in the morning, the noise of my mother's chanclas on her feet coming closer to the door. "Escheula, mi ninas," she said as she opened the door. The summer was over. My sisters and I had to get up. Mami danced her way back into the kitchen. "I hope this year was better than last year," said Zully. My sisters Zully and Adizia loved school. Me, not so much. It was difficult for me to comprehend last year. However, Zully is excited because of who her new teacher will be. Mr. Davis. A school and parent favorite all around. He made sure you understood and helped students and parents as well. This year, my report card says 4-413, but there's no name. I hope it's Ms. Charnov. She's a favorite from the kids. "¿Estas listas?" Said Mami. "Yes, we're ready." Said Adizia. Dancing to salsa music while my mother gave us our lunch and gave us a kiss on the cheek. She told Adizia and Zully to have a great day. She held me back,

"Si pasa algo, dime. Te amo y que tengas un buen día en la escuela"

"Ok. I love you too, Mami. "

Here we are. C.S.66, the home of the brave. Surviving this school would be the equivalent of surviving prison. Maybe I'm being over-dramatic but hearing my Tio Lurch talk about prison doesn't sound any different. Passing by the cliques, the only difference I see is the new outfits their parents struggled to get. Give it a week and they will be in their natural habitat. Fighting, disrespecting teachers, and the good old food fight. Coming up to the cafeteria door, Mr. G greeting us with a smile as if the new school year was yesterday. "Good morning, young ladies." The chipper pitch in Mr. G's voice tells us he had his coffee today. Everyone wondered Mr. G sexuality, but I didn't care. His kindness and his caring for students to go above and beyond mattered the most, at least for me. His index finger guided us to our table. Zully found hers. Lucky brat, she has Mr. Ketchum as her teacher this year. Adizia, is lucky too. Ms. Caba is another student favorite.

The teachers left hands go up while their right index finger is pressed on their lips. "ONE TWO..." by the time it went to three, the students were silent and seated. "GOOD MORNING BOYS AND GIRLS, WELCOME TO A NEW SCHOOL YEAR HERE AT C.S.66."

"GOOD MORNING, MS. ORTIZ, " said the students.

"THIS YEAR WE HAVE A NEW PRINCIPLE HIS NAME IS MR. BELLON. I AM YOUR NEW ASSISTANT PRINCIPLE. WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A GOOD SCHOOL YEAR. YOU WILL BE GOING UP WITH YOUR NEW CLASS. CLASS 4-413 YOU WILL STAY BEHIND"

As each class went up, some students had comments to say about my new class and, of course, me. Fatty, butterball, if I jump off the building, I'll bounce back up. I laughed it off, but my cheeks turning red said otherwise. A woman of light complexion, brunette curly hair, blue eyes piercing through her black framed glasses. A green button-down is covered with a black, green, red plaid dress and black flats. Her smile gave me the chills. "This is Ms. Brown. She moved to New York," said Ms. Ortiz. "Where were you before?" said Sekou. "Kentucky" Ms. Brown replied. We went formed two lines, went to the staircase, and moved to our classroom.

In the classroom, there were tables with our names assigned to it. I was behind Antonia. Her brother Giuseppe was at the far right of the classroom behind him was my friend Isabella. Then the far right there was Mohammed, and behind him was Sekou. In the middle with me and Antonia was Tobias and Thomas. Our class. Ms. Brown writes her name on the board. Ms. Ortiz pops in.

"Everything okay?"
"Yes, Thank you." Said Ms. Brown
Ms. Ortiz leaves the classroom.

Ms. Brown looks at us. "We are going to have a wonderful school year. Follow my rules, there will be no repercussions. Now when I call your name say here. Antonia?"

"Here," said Antonia

"Good. Giuseppe?"

Giuseppe was staring outside.
"Giuseppe?"
No answer.
Ms. Brown approaches Giuseppe's table with a ruler in her hand, my heart began racing.

"Giuseppe?" said Ms. Brown. However, he didn't budge. She took her ruler and slammed on the table. "He's autistic! He can't speak!" shouted Antonia. Ms. Brown walks over to Antonia. "Never speak to me like that again." Antonia put her head down.

It was only 10 am. The time was ticking slow. I wanted to run to my mother and my father's arms. My heart racing, but I was frozen to my chair. I couldn't believe this was my new teacher. How I wish we had Mr. Davis. This day couldn't go any slower. Now I have a whole school year ahead.