Chapter Five

The mansion was grand.

Archways made of polish stone led down the hallway to the banquet hall.

The low tones of the guests voices echoed down, vibrating off the clear pane windows that over looked the forest.

Golds, browns and reds vibrantly contrasted the dark night that covered the landscape. An eternal Autumn.

Feyre rolled her shoulders as they entered the ball room. Stress coiled in her body. Rhysand glanced her way at her obvious discomfort.

No longer pregnant, Feyre glowed with health and beauty. Thanks to Nesta, no trace of death lingered near her. Though wariness filled her expression.

Rhysand squeezed her hand on his arm. Again greatful for the time they now have.

Cassian and Azriel walked closely behind them. Not dressed in finery like their High Lord and Lady but in their armour. Power gleaming off their siphons. Their faces were drawn, cruel and vicious pets to an even crueller and more vicious High Lord.

Azriel in particular looked lethal. His skin was pale from exhaustion and his eyes were focused, scanning the room. People flinched away as they met his angry hazel gaze. He moved through each petite brunette looking for that calculating golden glance.

High Fae around them cast cautious glances at the two, no doubt wary at the legendary Illyrian warriors and the illusive Night Court.

Mor and Amren remained in Velaris. Guarding the new babe, and the city.

Feyre had felt the need to stay back with them but didn't. Despite the ache in her chest at leaving Nyx. Auren was her friend. She would not abandon her.

No matter the stories her and Helion had spun, Auren still gifted her that cream, offered her an ear and had found a place in Feyre's court. Those were not actions of an enemy, of a cruel, deceitful person that Tavian had told them she was.

Helion stood at the Center of the large hall, his large stature standing out against the red and orange colouring of the room.

He gave a brief nod to them before turning to assess the rest of the room. He didn't come to them, instead he kept his distance. No doubt wary.

Feyre was unsure of where they stood now.

The deception ran deeper due to the fact of Feyre's pregnancy. The idea of their trust being broken like that fought against Rhysand's very nature to protect his pregnant mate.

They had fought endlessly about it, Feyre didn't see it for the treason Rhysand had.

Helion had allowed a stranger into their home, Rhys was still on edge about it, from the way his jaw set at the sight of the other High Lord. Feyre knew from the spark of night in her mind that was her mating bond that Rhys had begun to soften on it.

Feyre knew Rhys wouldn't hold that against them for long. Rhys liked Adalin- Auren.

Feyre sighed as she took in the room again, all it's grandeur. Obvious displays of wealth. Furniture around the room looked like it had never been used, seats that had never been sat on.

Despite the large table of food and drinks, and the orchestra perched at the edge of the room, the mood was anything but carefree and festive.

Fae from other courts wandered throughout the room. Enjoying the music but even they were on edge, no one drinking in excess, each watching their own backs.

The Autumn court did have that effect.

Thesan and Kallias were also present. Each sequestered on opposite ends of the room. Kallias had an arm wrapped around his wife, his gaze never pausing.