Wattpad Original
There are 18 more free parts

Ch. 2

The streets outside Lyons Headquarters were quieter than most days. Ever since Daniel threw a curveball in my plans and set fire to the emotional gasoline drenching the world, androids stalked the corners, the shadows, and everywhere they could be. I used the stillness to get into the building's garage and headed straight for the Creation floor; to those who needed me.

The elevator doors chimed once I reached floor 2B. Light flooded the space. The white tiled floor reflected its glow. I scratched the side of my head as android data passed over my eyes, then I quickly realized I shouldn't have done that; blood stuck to my fingers.

"Oh, shit, Elijah!" Frank jumped up from his desk chair inside the closest android station to my right. Pens fell to the floor. His feet squeaked as he hurried to me. "I thought you went to find old android tools," he said, observing my face. He gently touched the cut on my forehead. "What the hell happened?"

Clenching my jaw, I pulled my bag up over my head, tossing it on his desk, before I focused on him with a weak grin. "Android broke into my dad's room."

Frank looked over my shoulder. "Where is it? What Series number was it?"

"Doesn't matter." I tongued my cheek as I looked over his shoulder, reading the information on his computer screen. I zoomed in on the letters displayed. My internal chip displayed it for me, having connected without issue. I grinned as I read it. It looked like our 800 Series had a responsive day, relaying the data I coded for them last week. "Were there any errors?"

Frank blinked. "So, we're just going to pass over this?" He motioned at my face.

Lifting my brows, I looked at him. "It was a 500A. Didn't want to talk, it was just searching for something." Considering Frank wasn't going to give me a full report, I gently pushed passed him to scroll through his computer myself. My internal chip could only transmit so much. "And the moment I tried to reason with it," I looked back at Frank, "it attacked me. It knew where my chip was, too."

He came closer. "Are you okay?" he asked, concerned.

I nodded as I turned back to the computer. "Injury is a part of the game, right?"

Frank stood behind me and sighed. "This isn't a game. Have Victoria look at you."

"Oh, she will." I turned away from the computer, cocking a brow as I faced him. Then I smirked. "Don't be so serious. Come on."

How fast things changed between us. Frank was the man who stood in my living room and pleaded with me to save the world because he didn't want to lose his life. Now he made sure to do everything to help save mine. From planning routes to find and recruit androids to taking leadership over the 800A Series tests and monitoring me—my health and the frequencies shooting out from my head.

After a minute, Frank looked away and rubbed the back of his neck. "Reggie's back from scouting," he said. My eyes widened with excitement. Frank turned, glancing deeper into the Creation floor. "He found a willing android and details about Daniel."

My excitement changed into determination. It'd been over a month since I heard anything new about Daniel and his force; that was the news of the week. Had it benefited me? Not really, other than learning he controlled half of Chicago and his androids were more than willing to destroy anything at all costs.

"Where is he? In the Bridge?" The 'Bridge'—the nickname we gave to the main computer room. It became where we worked on communications between people and machines. It only made sense.

"He is." Frank nodded. Perfect. The more the merrier. I reached behind me for my backpack, to give the journal to Victoria, but before I could walk away, Frank grabbed my wrist. I stopped and looked at him, reading the emotions on his face. Worried. Concerned. "Be careful," he said. "The android has intel on you."