Wattpad Original
There are 12 more free parts

Ch. 8

A cool wind whipped against my face as Frank and I stepped outside. I pressed my arms into the sleeve of my sweater. My fingers tensed as I held the zipper, pulled it closed, and looked up at the sky. The rain hadn't stopped. The clouds were still dark grey. Lightning brightened the corners of their striking path.

I bit the insides of my cheeks while the thunder roared. "You'd think the storm would stop by now. It's been raining all fucking morning."

"Would it?" Frank rolled his shoulders back as he hopped off of the sidewalk's ledge. "Weather has usually been bad."

"Yeah, but more often now." I shifted and looked into his eyes. "I know everything's gone to shit, but I got to admit, I miss the sunlight. Like constant sunlight."

Frank frowned. Since us, since blackmailing me at Robert's farm, I hadn't seen sunny mornings. Maybe that was the last time. Sure, partly sunny was a regular occurrence, but some bright light and a full dose of vitamin D; I missed it. All the grey and rain did nothing for someone's mood. And without everything going on with Lyons, the androids, and the state of the world, my mood was shot. I could use some whiskey about now, shit.

"I guess it doesn't matter, anyway." Like Frank, I hopped off the curb. My shoes landed against small pebbles scattered on the side of the road, mixed with trash and debris. Then the rain started a light shower, kissing the ground with its small drops of water. Inhaling slowly, I looked up at the sky. "We're out here to talk to Daniel anyway," I said.

"Right, you said he wanted to meet you outside." Frank scratched the side of his head. "And to bring me with."

"Right." I nodded.

"Did he say what for?" Frank questioned, looking around the empty streets. Weird. Usually, at this time there'd be someone; a cloned food merchant, a doom and gloom, anyone. The world was ending, yeah, but we weren't dead—yet.

"He didn't." I tongued my cheek. "I guess he—"

"You need to get your priorities straight." Daniel popped up from around the neighboring building on our left. With his hands in his pockets and the collar of his jacket propped high, he looked at us, eyes bouncing left and right. Then he pouted. "You don't have them."

I lifted my brows and turned to face us as he approached. The closer he got, the louder the buzzing sounded in my ear. It wasn't outrageous, but Victoria had taught me how to tune out and ignore electrical waves. It was as if each step he took, electricity followed him; zapping, sparking, and surging into the street's cracked asphalt.

I gulped and tightened my fist. The last time Daniel and I met in person it wasn't pretty. Maybe I was paranoid. "I'm out here like you wanted. Is that what you had to say? Really?"

"Hm." His tongue poked out of the corner of his lips before he grinned. With his hands still in his pockets, he stood beside Frank, then weaved around him to stand in front of me. Instinctively, I moved back onto the sidewalk. Daniel shook his head. "I was testing your priorities," he said. "I don't think you know what is important."

"I don't?" I moved again, motioning Frank to follow me. Yet, when he lifted his foot, Daniel quickly lifted a hand, and he stopped, staring at me. Quickly, fear took over. Don't be afraid, Frank.

"No." Daniel chuckled. "Priorities would be protecting those you care for and love." His gaze passed over Frank. "You do love him, don't you?"

"Daniel," Frank whispered.

"Do you?" Daniel insisted, looking at me with a hard stare. The light that flashed across his eyes wasn't just an android's confirmation, a data transfer, or words shifted into the electrical feed. This was a warning, a message to me. But what was it?