chapter 9: separate tides

2nd Pov

Luz is shown holding a ball of light in one hand and carrying the Owl Staff in the other through a cave. She stops when she sees a large shadow on the wall in front of her. Offscreen, there is a deep laugh. Luz gasps.]

Garlog:Foolish child. Leave this place before you meet your demise.

Luz:Do not underestimate me, Garlog. For I am the good witch, Luz, hunter of monsters. [Perches the staff on her shoulder like a bazooka.] Now eat this sucka—what?

Garlog turns out to be a tiny creature casting a shadow standing in front of a lantern. Luz picks him up, and he lets out a squeak, trying to escape.

Luz:You're Garlog? [Pulls out his wanted poster, depicting him as being much larger and worth 4,000 snails, compares it to the real thing.] This is pathetic.

Garlog: Small I may be, but you will soon know fear when I lay waste to all that you—

He gets cut off by King, who eats him whole!

Luz:King, drop it now. Drop it now!

King mumbles and runs off.

Luz:[Chases after him] Drop it! No! I'm not gonna play right now! King!

After getting Garlog from King and getting back to the Owl House, which is shown, wind howling. Cut to Luz's room, where Garlog is stuffed in a bottle while Luz sets her phone against it.

Luz:[Boops Garlog's nose] Boop! [Turns on camera to say hello to her mother] Hola, Mama! You haven't heard from me in a while. It's been a week and a half since the petrification ceremony. A week and a half since I destroyed the portal home. I had to. Emperor Belos was going to kill Eda if I didn't hand it over. But I couldn't let him use it, so I blew it up with some magic fire... [To herself] She's not gonna understand any of this. That's okay, Luz. Just keep moving forward. [To Camila.] This world is filled with inexplicable magical wonders, like this portal key! [Pulls out the item in question] I don't know if it contains magic, but I'm gonna study all I can and find a way back to you. A-And look! [Lifts up her leg to show King holding onto it.] I have friends to help me.

King:I'm never letting you go! You're never returning to the human realm!

Luz:He doesn't mean that. [Covers the camera]

King:Yes, I do!

With Eda in the kitchen, where she is trying to cast magic by pouring a cup of apple blood.

Luz:[ Narrating] This is Eda the Owl Lady, the most powerful witch on the Boiling Isles. [Eda's magic fails; the bottle explodes, covering Eda in apple blood.] Or at least she was until her curse overpowered her and weakened her magic. She's doing her best now.

switches to Lilith, who is wearing a new outfit and putting her old one away.

Luz:[ Narrating] Eda was cursed by her own sister, Lilith. And she spent her entire life looking for a way to undo it. It's still hard for everyone to trust each other, but maybe with time, we can all become friends.

Lilith stares out of the open window pensively, a small smile appearing on her face as Luz narrates. She jumps when Hooty appears in the window.

Hooty:Hello!

Lilith screams in surprise and slams the window in Hooty's face. Switches to show Violet, who is sitting outside on the cliffside, looking at an old picture of her and her husband.

Luz: [Narrating] Then there's Auntie V, who is actually the second most powerful witch, and she has been cursed too, but her curse didn't make her weak, which is a good thing. But ever since we had escape from the Emperor she's been acting weird and she keeps staring at a old picture of her and someone else I'm kinda worried about her...but I know she will be okay.