Charapter 6 - Keira

I get out of the car and look around to eliminate any potential danger. We have arrived at some old building on the outskirts of New York City. Truth be told, the building looks like it's going to collapse in any second. It's already dark out there and everything looks creepy. To make everything even worse, it started to rain once we have got in the car. But that also means there won't be many people wandering around. I will not have to at least hunt the people down that could witness something that is, let's be honest, not legal to do. But anyway, I am sure Damon took care of everything. He isn't that much irresponsible, isn't he?

"Are you sure it's a safe place." I ask him anyway just to make sure. Damon looks at me gives me annoyed look that says "do you seriously think I'm that irresponsible".

"Don't look at me like that. I want to make sure," I say and walk into the dilapidated building. I take a deep breath and dig my nails into my palm. It kinda hurts, but I can't to stop doing it. Bad habit from youth, I guess. I am nervous that the whole situation is out of my hands. I don't like it and once I will get more information, I will make sure that I will hold the upper hand again. These situations makes me so nervous and stressed.

Damon leads me through dark alleys, the wind howling at our backs. The only thing that can be heard is the rain and our steps in dark and empty hallways. I feel like a child again. The vulnerable little girl that was too weak to protect herself. She didn't get to decide about her life and was only the mere pawn in the games of truly powerful people. But I am no longer this powerless girl that depended on her father. I made sure I will never be her again. I became from the mere pawn not only queen, but the queen of every pieces on the board. I became woman I dreamed to became.

Suddenly we stop in front of a large steel door and Damon punches in a number code. The door opens then with a loud beep and we step inside. The first thing I notice is a younger man tied to chains sitting bored on the ground. My brother likes to invent new methods of torture and it seems that he has invented another one. Too bad I wasn't here sooner, at least for the poor man. I would put stop to whatever Damon was doing to him. Or not, depends on my mood. The man may be around twenty, though. Except for his underwear, he's completely naked, covered in blood and has a gag in his mouth, which obviously doesn't make him very happy by the look he gives me.

When I look at his face, I notice his eyes are black. No, they aren't black but they are so dark brown they look like they are. He has dark brown hair, is muscular and have tattoos all over his body. When Damon takes the gag off his mouth he smirks at me and doesn't even for second break eye contact with me. Interesting, he will be one of those who are harder to break.

I pull out my own knives and prepare them. As always, Damon is ready, the promise of violence playing in his eyes.

"Tell me who you are?" I ask once I am ready and face him.

The man chuckles in amusement. I don't know what he finds funny about this situation, but my instincts tells me it's a mistake to have him here. But I'll not focuse on my instincts now and will use logic. No one except Damon, know about this place. We are safe here. 

The man still maintains eye contact with me, a smirk playing on his lips. I am starting to get annoyed by him.

"My family will destroy you for this, I promise you that," A man suddenly speaks up in a rough voice and challenges me with a his gaze. He seems to understand who is in charge there, though.

Damon picks him up by the shoulders and punches him several times in the face. He would probably have beaten him to death if I wouldn't have stopped him.

"That's enough, Damon. I'm sure he'll learn his lesson and won't talk to me like that again."

"He better do. That's not how you talk to Keira Moretti. You are nothing compared to her. And now you will answer nicely to whatever she asks you. Do you understand now?"