five - act two

When I opened my eyes again, Nana was beside me. I didn't feel sick anymore.

"Nana?"

"Oh, good morning, Sailor." Nana smiled.

"Where are we?"

"We're about to land so you can see Daddy again, baby. We flew across the pond." Nana smiled and took my hand into her big one. She had sparkly nails. "He's gonna meet us there."

"Oh." I shrugged.

I looked around. We were sitting in a long, narrow room. There were people all around. I heard a baby crying, but I didn't mind.

"Nana?"

"Yea, baby?"

"I'm bored."

Nana sighed, and put a little table up for me. "Guess what?" She hummed as she put paper and crayons on the table.

"What, Nana?"

"We're in first class! Can you believe it?"

"First class? What's that?"

"It's like, for the rich people, baby."

"Oh. Are we rich?"

"You are." Nana grumbled.

I didn't say anything. I turned to look for out my window in awe, while Nana opened her big book about God and continued reading. As I looked outside, I watched the clouds. They changed shapes as we drove by. Birds flew by the window. And, when I looked down, I saw houses and and grass and trees. It was like I was on top of the world.

Nana looked at me. "Why don't you go back to sleep, Saylor?"

"I'm not sleepy." I replied.

She frowned. I did too. I had slept a little too much today.

"I miss momma."

Nana sighed. "I already told you, Momma is gone. Your going to live with Daddy. Tomorrow, I'm going back home while you stay with him. Do you understand?'

I didn't. I felt a big surge of emotions and everything felt very suddenly real to me. And before I could stop myself, I was crying. People glared at me and Nana but I couldn't help myself.

"I don' wanna leave Momma." I cried, and Nana rolled her eyes. I was remembering why Momma didn't really like Nana now.

"Hush. You're too big to be crying like that."

I cried harder.

"It's not fair," I thought. "Why can't I have Momma and Daddy?" But I knew, truthfully, why. Momma and Daddy don't love each other.

Did Daddy love me still? What if he had a new angel?

No. He called me. A few days before I was flying.

I wasn't crying anymore, just kind of sniffiling and allowing tears to fall down my face. "Isn't fair." I mumbled. "Isn't fair."

Nana rolled her eyes again and went back to reading.

She did that a lot.