Golden Lake Arc: 2 | Forces

ZEKE

As the afternoon approached, I decided it was time to leave and search for a job again. Grandma Sue, especially the two siblings, was reluctant to let me go. But I had to. I can't rely on others forever.

"Are you sure you're leaving already, Zeke? You know I can't stop you, young one," Grandma Sue said with a smile, tinged with sadness. She knew me well; I never stayed with them for long. A day's stay at their place was long enough for me. I'd return when there was something important, or when I had nowhere else to go.

"You're leaving so quickly, big brother Zeke!" Ace cried, hugging my leg tightly. I hugged him back, reassuring him that I would return.

"Aren't you waiting for Avi before you leave, Zeke?" Ash asked as he handed me my belongings.

"It doesn't look like it, Ash. Avi is probably going to be late. I need to find a new job while there's still time. Time is precious. Plus, I shouldn't always be relying on all of you, right?" I smiled and then embraced them.

"Come on, Zeke, you're no different from us. You're family too," Ash said warmly.

I couldn't help but smile at all of them. Even though we weren't related by blood, I could truly call this place and them my home.

"Alright, Zeke. Keep us updated when you find work again, okay? You're welcome here anytime. I'll let Avi know too. Take care," Grandma Sue bid me farewell as the three of them escorted me out of the alley.

"Yes, Grandma Sue. Take care too. Ash, help your sister and Grandma Sue, all right? And you, Ace, be good and obedient. Okay?"

The two siblings nodded while Ace sported a reluctant pout. Just as I was about to turn and walk away, Ace called out to me, wanting to say something.

"Big brother Zeke!" I turned around to Ace whilst smiling. I didn't want him to see me leave with a heavy heart.

"We're lucky to have you! You're not cursed, okay? Don't listen to them."

My heart melted at what I heard. I hadn't expected such sympathy from Ace at his young age. Even though I knew I shouldn't pay attention to what others said, hearing it from Ace was exactly what I needed.

I had been walking around the town of Golden Lake for hours, inquiring and asking about potential job opportunities. Golden Lake is a place in the Clima province, rich in organic minerals and abundant in natural resources. It is a significant town in the province, nestled between a vast, long lake brimming with various resources.

This is one of the areas in the Clima province where you could encounter various opportunities. That's why I am here, trying my luck.

Despite the town's reputation, life is still challenging, and the zone remains deprived. The unemployment rate is high, illiteracy is rampant, inflation is a concern, and the residents has low income. Moreover, notorious forces are prevalent.

I had lost count of how many jobs I'd taken on since I moved out. It wasn't because I was incompetent or weak. Let's just say that I was not favored by fate, and when the rain of misfortune poured, I was often caught without an umbrella.

I reached the far end of Golden Lake, and still, no one was willing to offer me any job. The first question they usually asked me was, "What's your core?" Right from the start, I couldn't answer, and eventually, my confidence always dwindle.