Golden Lake Arc: 2 | Forces

As the afternoon approached, Zeke decided it was time to leave and search for a job again. Grandma Sue, especially the two siblings, was reluctant to let him go, but he knew he couldn't rely on them forever.

"Are you sure you're leaving already, Zeke? You know I can't stop you, young one," Grandma Sue said with a smile, tinged with sadness. She knew him well; he never stayed with them for long. A day's stay at their place was long enough for him. He'd return when there was something important, or when he had nowhere else to go.

"You're leaving so quickly, big brother Zeke!" Ace cried, hugging his leg tightly. Zeke hugged him back, reassuring him that he would return.

"Aren't you waiting for Avi before you leave, Zeke?" Ash asked as he handed him his belongings.

"It doesn't look like it, Ash. Avi is probably going to be late. I need to find a new job while there's still time. Time is precious. Plus, I shouldn't always be relying on all of you, right?" Zeke smiled and then embraced them.

"Come on, Zeke, you're no different from us. You're family too," Ash said warmly.

Zeke couldn't help but smile at all of them. Even though they weren't related by blood, he could truly call this place and them his home.

"Alright, Zeke. Keep us updated when you find work again, okay? You're welcome here anytime. I'll let Avi know too. Take care," Grandma Sue bid him farewell as the three of them escorted him out of the alley.

"Yes, Grandma Sue. Take care too. Ash, help your sister and Grandma Sue, all right? And you, Ace, be good and obedient. Okay?"

The two siblings nodded while Ace sported a reluctant pout. Just as Zeke was about to turn and walk away, Ace called out to him, wanting to say something.

"Big brother Zeke!" Zeke turned around to Ace, smiling so he wouldn't see him leave with a heavy heart.

"We're lucky to have you! You're not cursed, okay? Don't listen to them."

Zeke's heart melted at what he heard. He hadn't expected such sympathy from Ace at his young age. Even though he knew he shouldn't pay attention to what others said, hearing it from Ace was exactly what he needed.

He had been walking around the town of Golden Lake for hours, inquiring and asking about potential job opportunities. Golden Lake, a place in the Clima province rich in organic minerals and abundant in natural resources, was a significant town nestled between a vast, long lake brimming with various resources.

Despite the town's reputation, life was still challenging, and the zone remained deprived. The unemployment rate was high, illiteracy was rampant, inflation was a concern, and the residents had low incomes. Moreover, notorious forces were prevalent.

Zeke had lost count of how many jobs he'd taken on since he moved out. It wasn't because he was incompetent or weak. Let's just say that he was not favored by fate, and when the rain of misfortune poured, he was often caught without an umbrella.

He reached the far end of Golden Lake, and still, no one was willing to offer him any job. The first question they usually asked him was, "What's your core?" Right from the start, he couldn't answer, and eventually, his confidence always dwindled.

Zeke didn't know why, but his core ability had yet to manifest. He had consulted with a trusted core specialist a few days after his 18th birthday, just before he moved out. However, during the session, she couldn't pinpoint what his core was, and she had a headache while trying to read him. She mentioned it was an uncommon occurrence.

That's when he began to doubt and wonder if he even had a core. Years had passed, and he still hadn't discovered his core, no matter what he did – self-training, meditation, and anything else. He had reached a point where he paused his search and focused on living his life independently. But life alone was challenging, and combined with the burden of bad luck, this was where he found himself.