Happy Birthday.

Haneul's POV:

Today was Lexie's Birthday. Roughly five months since I left Korea, 3 months since she was raped by her high school classmate. The guy who was half Korean and half American like her, Daesun was a smug boy who I hated and warned her about, but she still met him and hanged out with him more often prior to her rape. Until she stopped meeting him and receiving his calls. She switched numbers recently and though I feel she doesn't want to go and see me, she still flew to Malpensa and I am now waiting for her at the airport. I got her a bouquet of her favorite flowers, Orienpet Lilies. It was hard to grow in Italy, so when I found a flower shop that specializes in growing hard to find varieties of flowers in Milan, I knew I just had to try to get her a bouquet like I always did. She doesn't like getting bouquets but she adores Orienpet Lilies. It was one of my mistakes I learned from the very first time I have gotten her a bouquet of winter flowers randomly picked to mean 'Fiery Love' she hated that bouquet to say the least and when I gave her another one for Valentine's Day, this time with the Orienpet Lilies because I saw her room's wall decorated with a mural of Orienpet Lilies, it was like I struck gold. The smile she gave me was the most beautiful smile I have ever seen on her. Her eyes dazzled and captivated me permanently. Oh to behold a sight of her lovely ocean eyes, she got her Father's eyes of blue, some days hazel blue, it was lovely how her eyes changes colors per season, hazel blue on summer and spring and on winters the coldest ocean blue eyes. She was supposed to get out of the Baggage Carousel in five minutes. So, I waited for her upfront. Few people ever come to the Airport to pick up their loved ones from the Airport, something that only happens in the Philippines, despite the people being off limits on entrances inside the airport. Unlike in any other parts of the world, where we could go in and out of the Airports, the Philippines was a different story altogether. Probably because of emotional parting that happens in the airport, Filipinos are Family oriented people. It wasn't uncommon either to have Family go to another country in search of a 'better' life. My Appa was one of those who didn't need a better life but either way went to Italy for the love of the cuisine. He wanted to be in Italy and live his Dolce Vita life, far away from the daily stresses of the Philippines. I was privileged to hold three passports, One for Italian, South Korean and the Philippines. When I am travelling around Europe for quick escapes and vacation, I always brought my Italian Passport with me, when I am travelling through other parts of Asia, I always brought along my South Korean Passport and when I am travelling to the Philippines, I brought my Philippine Passport. I realized then that having a Philippine Passport wasn't something to be proud of, because of how my fellow countrymen behave in other countries, The Filipino People were known to the World as Domestic Helpers, notorious for getting in undetected and staying over the expired limits of their tourist visas. Which was why, Appa and Eomma allowed me to get all three passports, they also allowed me to choose which citizenship to keep, which I decided to keep all three. Eventually, Alex emerged from the baggage carousel with her big luggage, she walked slowly as she looked for me. I was already on my way to her when she looked my way. A languid smile crossed her face, she looks terrible than the last time I have seen her. Her eyes fills up with tears at once as she ran full speed towards me, I opened my arms wide and ran towards her. 

I hugged her tight as she sobs into my arms, I enveloped her into a warm embrace. Full of regrets for leaving her alone, for everything that happened to her without me by her side. I rubbed her back as she sobbed into my arms. In my mind, if I stayed in Korea, none of this would have happened to her. She wouldn't hang out as much as she did over the last five months. She would have never thought of going out and drinking with them. I kissed the top of her head as she sobbed into my arms, a quiet reassurance that I would still love her come what may. She sobbed like a child losing something. I know that I would always love her, I would always come through for her. But in her mind, I already forsaken her and all of this happened simply because I left her. It would take two more years for me to make good on this promise. She stops sobbing eventually and just stood hugging me for a while, before she looks up to me and slightly pulling away from the hug I was giving her.