chapter two

___

T W O

T W O

——

P R E V I O U S  S U M M E R

     "It'll be okay, Belly." She heard Taylor try to soothe her again. After coming back inside from her talk with Florence, she had been sobbing nonstop since entering her room. She kept beating herself up over kissing Jeremiah. How could she hurt the girl that meant everything to since she was 14? Hurt filled in her too when Florence had stated that they were 'just friends helping each other'. How could she say that? "Just try talking to her tomorrow okay? I'm sure you two will make up."

     "You didn't see the look on her face, Taylor." Belly argued. Her eyes continued to fill with tears, remembering the way Florence just shut down after she started to say so many nice things about her. "She was saying all these nice things, about how she could trust me and said that I never would hurt her, but I did. I didn't mean for the kiss with Jeremiah to happen."

     "What did she say after you told her about the kiss?" Taylor asked.

     "She said that it was fine." Belly answered, thinking back to the girls words with hurt and guilt. "That it wasn't like we were a couple or anything anyway. Just two friends helping each other out. That's all. That's what she said, verbatim. Does that seem like someone that's going to talk to me?"

     "I know I can't say anything after fucking up Steven and Shayla with my kiss with him when they weren't a official couple yet, but I get why she would say that and feel hurt by you kissing Jeremiah. She is just deflecting to protect herself. I'm sure she didn't mean it either, okay. Just try and relax tonight, then try to call her back tomorrow." Taylor answered Belly with a softness to her tone. Belly appreciated and loved Taylor. She was her person, her best friend. "Hey, damn it, I have to go. My mom's calling for me. I'm sorry."

     "It's okay. I'm gonna put on a movie while I wallow away in anxiety waiting to call her tomorrow." Belly chuckled, despite that being the truth. Taylor chucked at her words before ending the call with an 'I love you'. Belly sniffled after putting the phone down, wiping away the tears that had fallen. She reached for her laptop that rested on her nightstand, but paused when she saw the letters that Florence had dropped on her way back to her car. She picked the two up and brought them to her face.

She knew that if Florence knew that Belly was going to open the letters, she would be upset. Belly couldn't risk doing that, so she opened the top door to her nightstand and placed the two letters in there. Belly could wait a little longer to see what was inside of the letters if it meant making things right with Florence.