One step closer

Young blood, made of gold

A mind you can't control

Burning wild, can't calm down

My head is in the clouds

***

India seemed to finally have got rid of their chokers tag from the past decade. Storming into the knockouts easily as always, they won the T20 World Cup 2024 final in a thriller versus England.

Two trophies in two years after the ten year drought was in many ways too good to be true. The wild joy inside the team couldn't match last year November's, but it was still wild enough.

As always, the few relatively sensible ones in the team, Rahul bhai and Jassi bhai got the after match party to break up around three am, citing a lot of reasons, none of which made sense to most of them

"Our flight is not even tomorrow," Rishabh protested.

"That does not mean we have to act like undisciplined hooligans," said Rahul firmly.

Groaning and grouching, they trooped upstairs to their rooms.

"You know," whispered Ishan, pulling Shubman aside. "I want to go and see the Space Needle before we leave."

"The Seattle one?" asked Shubman.

"How many Space Needles have to heard of?"

"How was I supposed to know you were talking of a Space Needle I have heard of?"

"How many Space Needles are there in the world?"

"How am I supposed to know that?"

"You really need to date an architect," said Ishan. "I'm sure Hardik bhai will a contact-HARDIK BHAI!"

"Ishan!" said Shubman, as Hardik paused in his way up the stairs and turned back questioningly.

"Do you know any architect you could set Shubi up with?" asked Ishan, so loudly everyone in the hotel must have heard.

"Will you please shut up?" Shubman demanded. "I don't want to date an architect. Thanks, but I don't need any architect, Hardik bhai," he told Hardik, who was coming up to them purposefully with his phone.

"Then come to the Space Needle with me," said Ishan when they were out of earshot of everyone again.

"We're nowhere near Seattle," said Shubman cautiously.

"If we set off now on the train, we'll reach by tomorrow."

"And, um, our flight is, um-"

"Day after tomorrow," said Ishan confidently. "We'll reach safely."

***

When the two of them separated Rishabh from the crowd and whispered their proposal to him, Rishabh gave Shubman a very annoyingly patronizing look, and said, "Shreyas and I were going to watch a movie. And I don't want to risk Rahul bhai's wrath unlike you two. You two go."

"Wh-what do you mean," spluttered Ishan indignantly. "You don't want to risk Rahul bhai's wrath? Since when did you get a coward?"

"Since Shubi started to, you know, get bold." Rishabh gave him a patronizing wink.

Shubman glared at him from behind Ishan's back.

He hated being patronized, and he absolutely hated being patronized when he didn't know what he was being patronized for.