Equal and Opposite

Kai countered his original's attack with the same move, fighting in perfect sync with his opponent. They were equally matched, never managing to land a blow on the other. A quick glance at the others revealed his teammates were faring just as poorly.

Then the original Kai attacked and the clone raised his arm to block. He had to do something or he was going to lose.

A swarm of children in various ninja uniforms ran around the corner, led by the Green Ninja. They swarmed the evil ninja and their counterparts, trying to create confusion. The clone Kai kicked the green one away- he was a distraction.

"Lloyd?" his opponent asked, turning towards the wall- it was the perfect opportunity. The clone kicked him hard in the back.

The ninja vanished into gold dust.

"Huh- did I do it?" the clone asked, glancing at the gold dust in confusion. "Did I win?"

He looked back over his shoulder just in time to see the last of his teammates reduced to nothing.

That could have been him.

"Kai!" Jay- the original Jay- called his name.

What should he do now? He narrowly dodged a punch from the Green Ninja, taking a step back.

"Lloyd, what are you doing?" Cole asked, stepping over a pile of pitch-black ash.

"That's not Kai!"

Time to run.

The clone of Kai turned towards the end of the hallway and sprinted for the exit.

"Get him!" He wasn't sure who said it- he didn't care- he just had to run.

He wasn't fast enough.

Something hit him in the face when he turned back for a second- something white and chalky.

"Ow, my eyes! I can't see!" He rubbed his eyes, frantically trying to get rid of the white powder so he could get out of here. A green blur came at him, hitting him hard.

Kai's vision went black.

-X-

"Oh, what are we going to do with him?" Jay questioned, looking at the ninja clone with suspicion. "And where's the real Kai?"

"I do not know. He is not here," Zane answered.

"Guys? I think I know what happened to Kai." The earth ninja picked up a pile of golden dust, turning to face the others with wide eyes and shaking hands.

"Oh no," Jay gasped. Everyone looked down at the golden dust littering the floor, tears filling their eyes.

"Kai..."

"This is all my fault." Lloyd cried, "If I had kept my distance instead of getting hurt, Kai wouldn't have gotten distracted!" He buried his head into his hands, sobbing.

"No, Lloyd, it's not your fault," Cole said, wrapping his arms around the ninja-in-training.

"Yeah, you saved the rest of us." Jay joined in the hug.

"But now Kai's dead!"

The four- three- ninja glanced at the dust scattered along the floor.

"...we should- we should get back home," Cole said finally. "Wu will know what to do with him."

Jay kicked at the unconscious clone.

"Anyone have a rope?" he asked, turning to the kids that had tried to help. They looked at each other and nodded. They threw him a rope.

"Perfect." Cole wrapped the rope a little too tightly around the imposter Kai. "Let's go."