Prologue

Pain filled my body as my form shifted. I could feel the fur sprouting on my skin, my body growing and bones breaking then rearranging. My voice became a mangled sound as a scream tore from my chest and morphed into a guttural roar that shook the ground. I could faintly hear scream over the blood rushing through my ears. The screams of my pack as they watched my 9 year old body shift. My fathers voice over took the others.

"What the hell?! What is he?!" My fathers voice sounds panicked. More so than I've ever heard, more than what should ever erupt from the Alpha.

"Kill him!" Before I was even fully shifted, I could feel teeth trying to dig into the thick fur coating my body.  My own body took over while my consciousness faded. As my conscious was pushed back, I saw wolves thrown and more take their place before my body too, started to retreat as my mind did and we hightailed it for the border.

I knew my father wasn't my mothers mate. I knew that she wasn't faithful to him because of that fact and I knew that because of it, she died by his hands. But I didn't know that he wasn't my real father and I couldn't even begin to think of whom my real father could be.

The wolves stopped pursuing as I crossed the border. But the fight or flight response was still strong and knowing there was a raging pack of a hundred wolves behind me forced me forward.

I can't be certain how long I'd run for. I know I passed through the lands of multiple packs. I caught a few glimpses of sentries and patrols that came to check out the waver on the bond, but none bothered to chase me or stick around. When I stopped at a lake to rest before continuing, I caught my reflection in the mirror-like water.

A Bear?

A part of me wished my mother was still alive so I could get some answers. But another part of me didn't want to know. I noticed small black tips on my ears, as if I was kissed by the sun and they'd been scorched. I wasn't small, but as a cub I wasn't giant either, and the wolves seeing me as a cub gave me a sense of protection; they'd assume my mother was near by to protect me, and I was long gone by the time they realized I was by myself.