Chapter 1

With the ringing of the alarm at 5:00 am, Rachel sprang out of bed and thanked the Lord for another day in His glorious radiance. Mornings were routine for her. Prayer, devotional and coffee with her neighbor and long time friend, Sophia. Rachel worked with middle schoolers at Faith Academy and had just finished her second year of teaching. As she stretched her arms in the air, she thought, The first day of summer vacation. She made her way into the bathroom, then into the kitchen. Placing her favorite Danishes onto a plastic dish. She paced herself as she walked over to Sophia's front porch. After walking down the steps and onto her lush lawn, she felt the freshly cut grass in between her toes and took a huge whiff of her jasmine trees growing in her front yard. Rachel smiled, and took a deep breath of fresh air.

"First day of summer Rachel, have you made any plans yet?"

Rachel and Sophia shared a special kind of friendship that she cherished . Through Rachel's worst time, Sophia stood beside her. When Mark asked Rachel for a divorce, Sophia took her under her wing and showed her how to lean on God for strength and guidance. Rachel was deeply hurt, broken and fragile during that time in her life. She knew of God but not of the intimate relationship God desired to have with her. Sophia herself became a widow at a young age. She lost her husband during a Desert Storm mission gone wrong. Mark and Rachel moved into the neighborhood two years after Sophie's husband, Mark, died. When Mark and Rachel moved in late December, she welcomed Rachel as her friend with open arms. Mark and Rachel's boys grew to love Ms. Sophie as well. When the boys were young, they looked forward to her freshly baked cookies and chocolate milk when they got home from school.

Rachel thought about Sophia's question carefully. A million memories raced through her head. She looked at Sophia as tears formed in the corners of her eyes.

"I think I have an idea. Last year, the boys and I spent the entire summer traveling. This year, they have chosen to spend the summer with their dad. I knew this day would come eventually, Rachel."

She and Mark divorced just as she began her new career. Sophia came close and hugged her tightly.

"Oh friend, listen when I tell you. You will find strength when you trust in the Lord."

Rachel smiled, "Trust? That's a mouth full Sophie."

"Oh yes, it is. I've had my share of doubts too." "Look toward the heavens Rachel, God is with you."

Rachel did just as Sophie asked. She looked up, took a deep breath and tried to exhale her worries away. She thought about traveling again, or maybe even taking a long vacation on some remote island. But Rachel's heart was heavy and was leading her in a different direction. She was actively involved in her church and had grown to love the Lord and served with a joyful heart, but she still felt somewhat empty and unaccomplished with the Lord. She felt time was ticking away and felt she hadn't fully committed her life to God.

"You're deep in thought Rachel, what's on your mind?" Sophie asked as she grabbed her coffee cup.

"Remember my awful days? I couldn't keep from crying. I think I went crazy a few times that month. I lost so much weight and the boys were so worried about me." She took a sip of coffee. "I remember it vividly. That was some dark valley you were walking through." Sophie answered. "But why are you reliving those awful days?"

"Well...I've learned so much since then and I see how much grace and mercy God poured out. I was so fragile and was so lost. I feel I've changed. I'm a new creation in Christ. Sophia knotted in agreement.

"Now that the boys have left, I feel I haven't been fully committed to the Lord's work." "That's not true Rachel. I can see how much you love the Lord and go out of your way to help those in need. You have shown many fruits of the spirit. Some say that God is still working with you." "Thank you Sophie, but I feel I need to do more. Pastor John asked this Sunday if there were any brave souls willing to help with our youth camp this summer."