Chapter 3

Kasia was stretching with her fellow ballerinas, getting ready for their practice. They were all chatting about their lives – as usual – when the topic of the new policemen coming to town came up.

"Have ya heard about the new policeman coming to town? Nigel, my husband, told me. Saying something about cleaning up the city. They said he arrived last night. Today's his first day." Lydia gossiped. Lydia was 26 with Strawberry-blonde hair and green eyes.

"My brother heard something about it from his mate. They're from Dublin." Added Charlotte. "I bet your Peaky Blinder chaps knew before anyone else kas. They run this town they do, even the coppers listen to 'em."

Charlotte was a 24 year old women with stunning dirty blonde hair and cocoa-brown eyes.

"Well the new coppers wont listen to 'em." Lydia commented.

Kasia stayed quite just listening to the conversation, not wanting to get involved. She didn't like knowing about Shelby business, but it was hard to avoid when they basically ran the whole town. With a new, stricter policeman in town things could get nasty. The Shelby's have all the power at the moment, this cop could change that.

She was brought out of her thoughts when her dance instructor came through the door. Telling everyone to get on their feet so they could start the practice.

————————————————————–

In another part of town, a women wearing a green skirt and blazer, handbag in hand, walked towards The Garrison. Taking in the foggy sight of the city: which is covered in soot and ash from the factories lining the streets. It was a different world than what she was used to.

When she got to the double doors of The Garrison, she took a deep breath, pushing open one of the doors slowly, the door creaking as it widened.

Inside was a man(who was probably the owner) sweeping the floor of broken glass and dirt with a cig in his mouth.

"I'm hear about the job as a barmaid." She spoke confidently, as the man turned to look at the lady in front of him. He raised his back slowly, taking a drag of his cigarette.

"Are you mad?" He questioned rhetorically, taking one look at her and knowing she didn't belong in a place like this.

"Am I what?"

"Do you know about this place?" He questioned again, not fathoming that another girl who definitely didn't belong here arrive at his pub.

"I saw it in an advertisement." She said calmly, walking closer to the man.

"Job's been filled." He spat quickly, trying to get her to go away and going back to sweeping the floor.

"But it was in yesterday's paper." She confronted, not taking no for an answer.

The barman waited a second before answering, "Believe me, love, I'm doing you a favour." Still sweeping the floor.

"I'm not asking for favours. I'm asking for employment." She pressured, being more demanding than she was before.

Sighing, the man gestured to her appearance and commented, "You're too..." He paused for a second trying to come up with a word which won't offend her. "...nice."

"How would you know?"

"And to pretty." Harry cut her off. "They'd have you up against a wall." He commented, smirking slightly. "Plus we already have one nice girl in this town and we're pleased with the one we got."

"I have experience. And references." She stammered, pulling out some pieces of paper from her bag. Still trying to convince the man.

Harry took them, giving it a glance over. "What part of Ireland are you from?" He asked, not looking up from the paper.