The Journey Back to Livertorjan (Spring 12)

XII.

Madoka stood over the dead Kanys, her breathing ragged and her head woozy from the reveal. She had left them in the room with the statues. Whatever magical attack this was, she knew that the black, smoking creature before her was not the real Kanys. Like Lord Leopride's shadow she fought before, her heart was not moved when she slew it.

She checked herself. No blood on her hands, only the fast pounding of adrenaline fading in her head. The body completely vanished, seeping into the ground but only leaving the pathway untouched. She wondered if Kanys could employ such shadow magic, but remembered she was supposed to retrieve Audrey so she hurried quickly to the Temple's entrance.

It was dark outside, and Madoka could see campfires set up downhill. For a moment, as the wind caressed her face, she could see this place being peaceful. Footsteps approached her, though she was unafraid and simply sat down on the soft grass to enjoy the view.

"Hey," someone called her. The voice was Audrey's. Her footsteps softened and then she slowed to a halt next to the maid. Madoka saw the girl in the hood for what felt like the first time in a long time. Conflicting feelings filled her, though. She sat in silence, until Audrey spoke up again. "It's pretty. Like those whisks of smoke curlin' up from their fires, good news travels slowly."

"And bad news races like a shooting star," Madoka sighed. "Why do I feel like you have both?"

"Aw, that was poetic," Audrey leaned back. "You know me, though, I have lots to talk about. Specifically, on magic."

"Bad news," Madoka growled. "I don't care."

She had just fought off a magical illusion, and the last thing she wanted to do is talk about magic learned from a girl she was jealous of. Audrey looked confused, seemingly unaware of that fact.

"Don't be so cold," Audrey sighed. The portal manifested and the tent fell out. "Was the temple at least cool to explore in?"

"Not really," Madoka kept herself aloof, although she could not help herself from being rude. Audrey was setting a stake up when she stopped.

"What's up with you?" Audrey asked. How could she be unaware of her treatment? "Look, I know how much you hate magic, but I asked Arudite—"

Madoka scoffed at the very mention of the name.

"O-Oh," Audrey understood something, but Madoka simply sighed. "I see now."

"It hurts," she kicked a rock down the hill. "Being left alone like that."

"I'm sorry," Audrey finally broke the silence, and sat back down next to her. She was looking up at the night sky again. Madoka was reminded of the many freezing nights they spent huddled beneath the stars, and how she used to stare up there even back then. "Even if we're apart, we're still under the same sky. The same moons."

"It doesn't make it better," Madoka stated blankly, but she found herself looking up at the sky with her princess. In that moment, they were one viewing the stars twinkling ceaselessly above.

"I don't know how to explain this to you," Audrey bit her lip. A nervous habit she has had since they were children. "But you remember those things I said to you in the grotto?"

How could I forget? Madoka thought silently, but nodded.

"I think it's okay to be jealous," Audrey's words pierced right through her.

She saw her intentions the whole time. Secretly, her emotions played at her again and she did not want to admit that she was jealous. If she could groan, she would for being like this.

"Heh, I... I think I'm messed up, but, it makes me happy that you like me like that," Audrey chuckled to herself. "One day, you'll realize you're still standing and sitting next to me, staring up at the big ol' sky. One day, you'll feel like I do. Like, extremely nervous and jumpy because I am lucky enough to be chosen by you. How no one else compares to you. How—"