a nation divided

i sit in the audience, watching and waiting, nervously. i fiddle with my gloves, making sure i look perfect. she probably won't even be able to see me, but it makes me feel better to know i look my best when i'm around her. the lights dim and soft piano floods the theatre. the curtains peel open, revealing hillary. she looks beautiful. her golden locks, her ruby red lips. the only thing that could tear my eyes away from her was the orange monstrosity that walked out beside her. is this some kind of sick joke? her enemy? i grit my teeth so hard my crispy outer shell could crack at any moment. for a moment, hillary's eyes flit to mine, but are pulled back to donald trump's like a magnet. i start to feel nauseous, the same way one might feel after eating too much chocolate.

"na na na na... na na na na yeah.... you are the music in me." her angelic voice fills the room like smoke from incense. something that would in any other case be comforting, was now suffocating, because i knew those lyrics were no longer directed at me. they were for trump. suddenly, trump's voice belts out along with hillary's gentle vibrato. goosebumps spring up on my arms and legs, and i know they would be present on my sugary crust if it was possible. hearing them harmonize felt like a stab to my chocolately core, the biggest betrayal. my eyes well up, and i rush out of the theatre, knowing my drops of sadness will wash the pigment from my hard exterior. my swift steps turn to jogs as i push through the theatre doors into the hall. i run through a labyrinth of pathways stretched out for what feels like centuries, the walls adorned with photos of the stars who have performed on that stage previously, their eyes mocking me. before i knew it, i was back to where my heart always leads.

i push open the door that leads to backstage. shame buzzes in my brain, or it would if i had one, but any better judgement was clouded by my desire for her. i step over the threshold and her icy yet comforting gaze was locked on me. i knew better than to step any closer. i don't think i'd be able to contain myself. "brown m&m, i...." she trails off. "save it. i can't believe this. i mean... what happened to us? what did i do to make you love him?" she walks over to me, her heels clacking on the ground. she reaches out for my hand, but i'm hesitant to take it. "i don't... i don't love him. i let the campaigns get to my head and maybe trump and i got a little close but i.. nothing could ever replace you." i pull my hand away. "nothing? you dedicated that song to me. the first time you ever watched high school musical 2 was with me. and now you're singing it with him like it means nothing to you. i don't know if i can-" she grabs both of my hands and pulls me close. "listen to me brown m&m. nothing could ever replace you. you are all i think of from the second i wake up to the moment i fall asleep. you consume my every thought. the entire time i sang that song, i thought about you. about us. about the things we've done together. it plagues my mind and it's something i'll never forget. even in my death i will be haunted by memories of you. the only way i could truly ever feel joy again is if you forgive me, and kiss me." her words go straight to my chocolatey core. i want this, more than anything. i lean in....

"hillary let me tell you this is going to be HUGE. we should- h- hillary?" our heads whip around to meet trump's hurt eyes, our hands not even bothering to unlink. "i... its over trump," hillary sighs. "i found my soulmate, and i would kick myself forever if i lost her." i blush. "after all this? after all these rehearsals, these harmonies, you're going to leave me just like that?" he says in confusion. hillary nods with a simple, "i love her." any ounce of sadness on his face twists into anger. he rips off his bowtie, throws it on the ground, and stomps on it. while walking out the door, he turns to us and, voice dripping with pride, utters, "have it your way. i will have my revenge. trump 2024."

hillary and i turn back to each other, lips inches apart. "should we... stop him?" i ask. without a second of pondering, she responds, "maybe i should retire from politics. i don't need to worry about anyone else when my whole world is right in front of me. how can i make it up to you?" i smirk, my hand finding her jaw. "i can think of a few ways." our lips crash together, my hand intertwining itself in her hair, hers finding their way to my back. i pull away from her, although my body craves more. "let's finish this at home," i chuckle. she takes my hand, and we walk off into the sunset together.