V

The next few days all looked pretty much the same. The nagging was still going around even though it did seem the public humiliation was starting to decrease slightly. Athea was becoming able to handle the insults a bit better and was finally starting to feel okay over the whole change of environments – and life, to be honest.

Today was a particular day. She had woken up in an oddly good mood, and was feeling actually good about herself. She managed to put together a killer outfit that would honestly make Brie so proud. Tight jeans, a loose layered tank top, a beautiful feather necklace her sister had given her as a birthday gift, some knee-high boots Diogo had designed especially for her for Christmas and a faux leather jacket. Her hair styled on a braid with her bangs hanging loose and silver earrings that went all the way up to her ear piercing, she felt like a model walking down to the car to go to school.

"Hey!" Patrick smiled, looking at her from head to toe. "Looking good, piccina!"

"Was feeling inspired today." She laughed, getting inside the car.

"This looks like something your sister would pick out for you to wear." Patrick smiled softly at his daughter. 

"Yeah..." Athea sighed through a smile looking down, holding the edge of her top with the tip of her fingers as her dad made his way to school.

Her first few classes went by normally – if you could call that normal – although she did have some unpleasant surprises waiting her in her locker, which were, of course, expected and formally ignored. During one of her many History lessons, however, class was interrupted by a loud microphone noise coming out of the room's speaker. Someone cleared their throat and the voice that followed was old and female.

"Pardon teachers for the interruption. Attention students, this is Principal Nesbitt speaking! I come to warn one and all about our very own Homecoming Ball!"

The class cheered and some girls around Athea started squeaking like squirrels. She tried to search her teen movie mental library for what exactly was Homecoming again but the Principal went back to speaking before she could have any luck.

"There will be a homecoming game held against Melville High on Friday, and on Saturday night 8 p.m. the festivities will commence! Get yourself a pair or come on your own, you'll be welcomed anyway!"

"Heard that, Italy?? No worries!" Some boy shouted from the other end of the classroom but Athea could only see the series of laughs and high-fives that followed, unable to look the joker in the eyes – which was honestly for the best.

"One last thing: there will be the crowning  of a Homecoming King and a Homecoming Queen so don't forget to vote! Thank you and happy studying!"

The voice silenced after another mic noise. The class, however, had burst in conversation even louder than before. People were turning around on their seats laughing and talking excitedly about the dance. The teacher tried to make some order out of the chaos but failed miserably. The bell soon rang and lunch was served.

Coming back from her lonely lunch, Athea made her way to the rest of her classes, until the very last one. Then, she left the school building over to the stadium for PE. Not her favorite, but it was curricular, so there wasn't much she could do about it. Walking into the girls' locker room got her under some staring. All girls inside – some changing, some chatting, others on their phones – stopped whatever they were doing to watch her as she got in (since she had, after all, gotten there late because she had lost her way).

She dashed with her head held down to the last locker on the last, empty lane. She quickly changed into the school'straining outfit, being mindful to lock her clothes safely to avoid any surprises later. Since her hair was already tied into a braid, she saved time in putting her hair up, hence being the first one to leave the locker room.