Ch. 32

Aurelia stood outside the Museum of Cultural History, her heart pounding in her chest. It had been a day since the livestream, and her brother had been hovering over her like a hawk, treating her as if she was some damsel in distress. She understood his concerns, but she couldn't help but feel suffocated by his overprotectiveness.

Taking a deep breath, she pushed open the doors to the museum, hoping to find solace among the artifacts and exhibits. The cool air inside hit her face, providing a momentary relief from the hot sun outside. She wandered through the halls, her eyes scanning the exhibits.

She hadn't been on the museum since the unveiling of Mal's spell book.

Aurelia let out a soft sigh as she continued to wander, her footsteps echoing in the quiet halls of the museum. She needed this moment of solitude, away from the prying eyes and protective watch of her brother. She needed space to think, to process everything that had happened.

As she turned a corner, she found herself in front of a display. The object hadn't been there the last time she visited the museum.

The plaque read:

Welcome to the exhibit commemorating the extraordinary stone known as Selenite, a captivating artifact with a unique purpose. Prepare to witness the power of Selenite, the mystical stone responsible for confining the villains within the infamous Isle of The Lost.

Marvel at the enigmatic allure of Selenite as you approach this remarkable specimen. Named after the Greek moon goddess Selene, this stone possesses a mesmerizing translucency that radiates an otherworldly glow. Its pristine, milky-white surface reflects the moon's ethereal light, as if capturing the very essence of captivity and entrapment.

Legend has it that the Isle of The Lost, a once secluded domain reserved for the most notorious villains and their offspring, required a formidable force to ensure their confinement. Selenite emerged as the key to their containment, harnessing an ancient magic that weaves an unyielding spell, sealing the villains within its mystical boundaries.

Feel the aura emanating from this stone of captivity, as if it holds within it the combined will and power of those trapped within the Isle of The Lost. Selenite's enchantment forms an impenetrable barrier, a prison without walls, ensuring that the villains remained locked away from the realms of freedom and innocence.

As you contemplate the intricate details and ethereal beauty of Selenite, ponder the consequences of one's actions and the price they pay for their deeds. Let it serve as a reminder that even the most formidable adversaries can be held accountable, and that justice, in its own way, finds a means of triumph.

Immerse yourself in the presence of Selenite, acknowledging the strength of the spell it casts, once binding the villains to their fate. May this exhibit inspire introspection and contemplation, reminding us of the delicate balance between power and responsibility, and the eternal struggle between darkness and light.

She reached out to the stone, feeling drawn to its energy. Just as her fingers were about to graze the surface, she hesitated, pulling her hand back abruptly. The power emanating from the Selenite was intense, and she could feel it even without physical contact. It was as if the stone itself was alive.

The closer she looked at the stone, the more drawn to it she felt.

"Selenite," She whispered, "Why does that feel wrong?"

Aurelia's brows furrowed as she tried to reconcile the information on the plaque with her own knowledge. Selenite, she knew, was a type of gypsum crystal renowned for its clarity and healing properties in various cultures. However, the stone in front of her, described as a powerful magical artifact, seemed to bear a different kind of significance.

The discrepancy nagged at her, creating a dissonance in her mind. She pondered whether the museum might have made an error or if there was a deeper story behind the name and the artifact.

Curiosity piqued, Aurelia decided to take out her smartphone and do a quick search on Selenite.

Her eyes widened, as she looked back at the stone in front of her.

"The moonstone."

The revelation hit Aurelia like a tidal wave, the pieces of the puzzle suddenly fitting together in her mind. The Selenite, the stone in front of her, could very well be the moonstone the werewolves were searching for. The description, the energy she felt emanating from it-it all made sense now.

"There you are!" She jumped, her hand shooting to her chest.

"Benjamin Florian! You scared the crap out of me!" Aurelia scolded, her heart still racing from the sudden appearance of her brother. The King of Auradon stood before her, a look of concern etched on his face.

"I've been looking everywhere for you," Ben exclaimed, his brows furrowing in worry. "You weren't answering your phone, and after what happened on the livestream, I just... I got scared."

Aurelia took a deep breath, trying to calm her racing heart. "I'm fine, Ben. I just needed some time alone to think, that's all."

"Being alone is dangerous," Ben insisted, his voice filled with a mixture of frustration and concern. "You know how tense things are right now. You shouldn't be out here by yourself, especially not after what happened."

"It was just a livestream," Aurelia tried to reassure her brother, though she understood his worries.

"A livestream that gave away your location." He countered.

"I told you I was done hiding, Ben. I understand you're scared, but I can't live this way."

"Lia-"

"No Ben," She interrupted him, "I want to be able to have what you and Mal have. I want to live freely, love openly, and face my challenges head-on. I can't do that if I'm constantly being shielded and protected. I need to stand on my own."

Ben looked at her, his expression torn between his instinct to protect her and his understanding of her need for independence. "I just want you to be safe," he said softly.

"I know," Aurelia replied, placing a hand on his arm. "And I love you for it. But I can't let fear control my life. I need to live, Ben. Really live."

Ben sighed, his shoulders slumping as he seemed to come to a decision. "Okay," he said, meeting her eyes. "Okay, I'll try to give you space. But you have to promise me that you'll be careful and that you'll call for help if you ever need it."

Aurelia smiled, a weight lifting from her shoulders. "I promise."

Ben pulled her into a hug, holding her tight. "Just... just be careful, okay? I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you."

Aurelia hugged him back, her heart swelling with love for her brother. "I will. Thank you, Ben."