Chapter 7

Luckily, even if the zombie's head was blown off, the crystal nucleus remained intact and fell to the ground. When Ren Chenxi found a level 1 crystal nucleus beside the zombie's body, she noticed there was also a cellphone and a lighter nearby.

This Explosive Card not only blew up the zombie's head but also managed to retrieve items from the zombie's body?

Later, Ren Chenxi encountered the same situation with other zombies. After a careful investigation, she realized that these items were zombie loot, similar to the equipment drops in her online games. Moreover, she discovered a new option in the lower right corner of her backpack, an automatic pickup option. When she enabled this feature, any items dropped by zombies she killed would be automatically collected within a 10-meter range.

Ren Chenxi used this method, along with the Explosive Card, to clear the hotel of other 1st-tier zombies. In addition to the essential crystal nuclei, she also collected gum, bank cards, nail clippers, scissors, a pocket knife, and instant noodles.

Ren Chenxi found it quite perplexing to discover scissors, a pocket knife, and instant noodles on these zombies. Her intuition led her to assume that these zombies might have been involved in illegal activities before turning. However, she couldn't quite comprehend why anyone would carry around instant noodles. In the end, she decided to accept it as a small blessing, especially since the item information indicated that the instant noodles weren't expired. The problem was that the entire hotel was now without power, and despite having an electric kettle in her room, Ren Chenxi couldn't enjoy a hot bowl of noodles.

She sighed at how she had once looked down on instant noodles before the apocalypse, but now they felt like a precious commodity.

As a result of her discovery, Ren Chenxi also checked the post-apocalyptic store again to see if they had mini card-style stoves available. Indeed, through a search, she found them for sale. However, she was disheartened to find that the cheapest mini card-style stove cost 10,000 crystals, and the gas canisters required for it were also priced at 10,000 crystals each.

After gaining confidence through her encounters with 1st-tier zombies, Ren Chenxi decided to take on the undead without relying on the few Burst cards she had. These 1st-tier zombies were quite emaciated, likely due to being trapped in rooms for two years, which made them slow, stiff, and weak. Ren Chenxi noticed that they had become a lot less menacing, perhaps because of the harsh conditions that had left them with little flesh on their bones, limited mobility, and feeble attacks. Even when she couldn't defeat them, she realized they couldn't outrun her. As long as she retreated to her room, the zombies couldn't even break through the sturdy door.

The first 1st-tier zombie Ren Chenxi encountered was an exception because it managed to tear down the dilapidated blinds. However, once she understood the capabilities of these 1st-tier zombies, her courage grew. She boldly used the Greasy Card and Flash Card, creating chaos among the zombies, blinding them or causing them to slip and fall. During these moments of vulnerability, Ren Chenxi didn't hesitate to use heavy or sharp objects from the abandoned furniture or even a hacksaw to brutally end the zombies by destroying their heads.

Ren Chenxi found a handsaw in the hotel's first-floor warehouse. In the kitchen, she discovered a sharp kitchen knife and a larger bone cleaver. Unfortunately, the food in the kitchen had completely rotted. To decapitate zombies, the bone cleaver would have been a better choice, but it wasn't as long as the handsaw. As someone who was just beginning to confront zombies, Ren Chenxi preferred the longer reach of the handsaw.

Despite the uncomfortable feeling of using the handsaw as a weapon, and the gruesome process of beheading zombies, Ren Chenxi constantly reminded herself that it was just a game to push through the ordeal. Fortunately, she gradually adapted to the process.