Chapter 17 - Still handsome though

Tw: why is he cute?

"It's not a long walk," Sodo muttered—guy still looked as if he had gone through a tumble dryer.

You flinched as he spoke and was exasperated with yourself for doing so. You were too high-strung. "Not short enough; probably your first—and only—time hearing that, though..." You passed through the halls as the candles still flickered, the sun in the midst of rising. The spring mornings could still be cool. It had been so long since you'd seen a sun that didn't want to fry you like an egg in seconds flat, and even then, Terzo's sun you had only met yesterday. Your retinas burned.

"You're not hers; she can't just toss you back down again."

You eyed him suspiciously; it sounded like he was trying to comfort you. He walked with his hands clasped behind his back. You thought he did that when trying to seem bigger than he was. "And if she spots us and orders you to kill me?"

"Ah, I see your point," his tail flicked.

And your point was a very long and sharp one. Sodo worked for the church, meaning he took orders from those with the most sway over the clergy. And their orders were undeniable. Or you could deny them, find yourself in great pain and slowly be pulled back into the depths. Hell was a shitty place, but to deny a cosmic law, well, that made it even shittier. You straightened Mari's habit. She could ask Sodo to kill you, and the only way to get him to stop would be for Copia to get him off you.

"I don't think I've seen you in glamour."

"I used to be on recruitment with Terzo when he was Papa. Got good at it," you muttered. Terzo taught you how people worked—probably wasn't great for the people pleaser in you. But he was the same kind of creature. You tugged again at your sleeves and belt.

"Is a nuns habit so different to a cassock?" He was a ghoul of questions today.

"Sash is more busty than waisty... the shape is allll wrong...." You picked more at your belt. It probably looked just fine, but it felt less fine.

"You're still handsome, _______."

You nearly stumbled walking, "Okay, what are you doing?"

He shrugged and smirked. "Nothing."

"No, no.. you don't just do nothing, you... Play the long con, you sell out my best friend to get him killed and me deported, and you..."

"Best friend..."

"Shut up! He was..." You bit your lip. Ten times the best boy Sodo might ever hope to be...

"Shhh." Sodo stopped, his head snapping in the direction of a corridor.

You frowned and followed his gaze towards the noise of approaching clipped-heeled steps on marble tile.

You held your breath and hid your heartbeat; you logically knew she couldn't hear it—but hell had taught you differently.

Sodomiser flickered his attention to your chest before stealing your hand and dragging you towards a storeroom cupboard. He pushed you in and hunched his back towards the door, hiding you from immediate view.

Damn it. You knew where this was going—there was only one reason a ghoul would have a sister of sin in a storeroom closet. Asshole was always looking for an excuse. He touched your jawline and grabbed a fistful of your thigh.

It seemed maybe you were both looking for an excuse. You reached for his nape and hip and leaned in, waiting to make a mistake.

But he stopped dead still and closed his eyes—listening.