Myth Writing

(This is a story I wrote back in 6th grade. Unedited, just grabbed it off of my doc and plopped it here. Just as a way to say "Sorry for being lazy as hell and doing nothing for 6 days." Please enjoy this cringy piece of writing :)

On a warm spring day, a bee was flying through the meadows. Her name was Beatrice. She had just woken up and was off to collect pollen and nectar. "Just another boring day, collecting pollen and nectar. When is something exciting going to happen?" she mutters to herself. She flies over to several flowers, collecting pollen and nectar. After finishing, she flies back to the hive, passing the nectar to another worker, who had woken up just as she got close to the hive. "I'm going to go back out and get more pollen, okay?" she says to the other. "Yeah, sounds good," the bee responds. Beatrice flies off to a new patch of flowers. Just as she is about to start to collect pollen, one of her friends, Annie the butterfly, flies from the flower she was just at. She is a little shaky, her marbled white wings flapping oddly.

"Hi, Beatrice!" Annie greets her. "Oh, hi, I was about to collect some of the nectar here," Beatrice says, returning the greeting. "Well, I'm sorry to interrupt, but two bees from your hive are fighting. You're a bee, so maybe you can stop the fight before one of the watching animals does something," Annie replies, barely managing to stay steadily in the air as she speaks. "Yeah, that concerns me. Can you show me where?" Beatrice asks. "I spoke to Peter before I came over here. I told him I was about to tell you about it, and he said that he'd be here in a bit to show you where the fight is. It would probably be easier for you to follow a big rabbit than a small butterfly, in case you lose your focus," Annie answers. "Not that you would though," she added, remembering her short temper.

As Annie finishes her sentence, Peter arrives, carefully avoiding Annie, Beatrice, and the flower patch as he stops. "Sorry I'm late, I must've slept too long," he apologizes, hoping they weren't angry. "It's okay," Annie and Beatrice say. "Phew, I thought you'd be mad. Anyways, follow me, we need to go quickly," he says. "Annie, are you going to come?" Beatrice asks. "No, I don't want to watch the fight anymore. It makes me feel nervous." Annie replies. "Okay, stay safe!" Beatrice says as she flies, waving goodbye. She has no time to look back, as Peter speeds up as if he's hopping on fire.

There is little that either of them says as they hurry along, most of it being them sharing their concerns out loud. "I'm a bit surprised you decided to come along, considering you don't know who they are," he says. "I hope both of those bees are okay. I have no idea if I know either of them, but I'm worried that they'll hurt themselves," she replies, a little surprised he'd think that. She thinks about it absentmindedly as she continues following.

A few moments later, Peter halts. "Well, we're here," Peter says, breaking the silence. Beatrice stops following Peter and flies to the fight, worried. "Why did you bump into me!?" the yellow and black striped bee yells. "What part of sorry did you not understand!?" the orange-yellow and black striped bee yells back. After hearing their voices, Beatrice instantly recognizes them both. They were both pretty much as aggressive and short-tempered as she was. She had hung out with them a few times, but they didn't know each other well nor consider each other friends. "STOP!" Beatrice interrupts the bees. Every animal there, including the fighting bees, turns to look at her. "Hmm?" they all say, curious. "Why are you two even fighting?" Beatrice asks, trying to stop or at least stall their fighting. "Well, he bumped into me!" the yellow-striped bee exclaims. "Yes, but I said sorry," the orange-yellow striped bee says. "Really? You're complaining because he bumped into you? He already apologized," Beatrice says. "Well- um- yeah I don't know how to answer that..." the yellow-striped bee stammers. "Well, I think you should just stop now, then, and you, apologize," Beatrice replies. "Sorry for getting angry at you," the yellow-striped bee apologizes.

"It's okay-" the orange-yellow striped bee is cut short as something attacks him. "Hey, what was that for!" Beatrice exclaims angrily. "Well, you wanted the fight to stop, so I stopped it," a mysterious, small creature whispers. Suddenly, the creature hops out of hiding. "Hello," he says, very suspiciously. The creature is a green grasshopper. "Hey, sorry to interrupt, but this bee is hurt, and I'd appreciate some help!" the yellow-striped bee calls. "Why would you attack that bee!? The fight was already stopping!" Beatrice yells, too busy to notice the bee's call. "Oops, my mistake," the grasshopper says, quite sarcastically. "Who are you anyway? Why do you care what's happening between us bees?" Beatrice asks, managing to calm herself down a bit. "That is for me to know, and for you to find out," the grasshopper says, silently hopping away. Beatrice begins getting angry again, but she finally notices the dying bee. "Are you okay?!" she says a little loudly in her panic. "If I'm being honest, no. I'm going to die here..." the bee says, weakly. "Well, me and this other bee are going to be right back, with a flower each to bury with you," Beatrice says, sadly. "I'll also bring a small rock for us to mark your place of death," Peter says.

All the animals leave the area. A few moments later, both Beatrice and the yellow-striped bee return with a flower. Seeing that the orange-yellow striped bee had already died, they both began to dig a hole. A few moments later, Peter comes hopping back with a small rock in his mouth. He places the rock down and finishes digging the hole. Very carefully, the bees put the orange-yellow striped bee down in the hole, set the two flowers on both sides of the bee, cover the hole, and place the rock down. Even though the sun is up, high in the sky, the mood is somber. "Guess I'll get back to work then. Bye," Beatrice mutters, quietly.

Beatrice begins flying back to the flower patch she'd just been at. Annie, seeing that Beatrice looked sad, flew away to give her some time to herself. After Beatrice finishes collecting pollen and honey, she starts to fly back to the hive. "Sometimes I wish that us bees had a way to defend ourselves," Beatrice thinks. She makes it to the hive, and after a brief interaction, she flies back out. As she flies out, the ground shakes and a crack appears, and out of it comes a strange person.

Beatrice flies in circles, panicked and confused. "Don't panic. I'm not here to hurt you," the strange figure reassures Beatrice. "Who are you?" Beatrice says, a little calmer. "I am the goddess of wisdom and war, Athena. I have heard your wish, and come to grant it. You must use it wisely," Athena says. Suddenly, all the bees in the world grew a sharp and pointy stinger. "I feel very honored that you would come to grant my wish, Athena," Beatrice says, attempting a bow. "No time to waste, for there are other things I must do," Athena says, and with that, the goddess is gone.

Throughout spring, summer, and fall, everything is peaceful, with the occasional conflict, but peace never lasts. On a chilly winter day, Beatrice is up and about, still thinking of how Athena appeared to her. Beatrice flies around, just to exercise her wings a little even though there wouldn't be any pollen and nectar and it was cold. There were very few creatures out in the cold, and the meadow was dotted with patches of snow. There was also a thin layer of snow on the ground. Out of the corner of her eye, Beatrice sees the grasshopper that she had seen in spring, on the day that orange-yellow striped bee died. Suddenly, Beatrice feels very angry about the grasshopper, even though it was in spring that the grasshopper killed that bee. She flies after the grasshopper, ready to attack.

After a few moments of flying, the grasshopper is within striking distance. Beatrice dives, stinging the grasshopper. "Ow! What was that for!?" the grasshopper exclaims. Ignoring his question, she keeps on attacking the grasshopper. After 3 stings, the grasshopper dies. Beatrice feels much better after killing the grasshopper, but her happiness is cut short as Athena appears to her once again. "You did not heed my words, Beatrice. You were to use the stinger wisely. Now, you shall suffer the consequences.

Beatrice felt a very sharp pain where her stinger once was and began drifting toward the ground. "Now all the honeybees will die after one sting. Maybe this will teach you not to attack without reason. I understand that he killed a bee, but that was quite a long time ago." With that, the goddess disappears again, leaving Beatrice alone with her thoughts. "Well, I'm going to die here, I guess. Too bad I couldn't say goodbye to my friends," Beatrice thinks, a little sad. She closes her eyes, deep in thought. She lies there for a few moments, then Peter hops along, also wanting to leave his place for a bit. "Wow, it's really cold out here, but at least there's space for me to-" he cuts off at the sight of Beatrice, lying on the ground. "Beatrice! Are you okay?" he asks. "No, I got super angry by accident and killed the grasshopper, and Athena came to punish all honeybees for it. Now all honeybees die with one sting," Beatrice says, weakly. "I'm going to guess that you're going to die," Peter says, attempting to make Beatrice laugh. "Don't worry, I'll be back with Annie," Peter says, hopping away, leaving Beatrice to lie in the cold.

Peter and Annie go to Beatrice as fast as they can, before her body is covered with snow. Peter has a flower and a rock in his mouth, and Annie is struggling to carry 2 flowers. Shortly after, they are lucky to find Beatrice again. "Do you want me to carry you to the hive so you can be buried there?" Peter asks Beatrice. "No thank you, I'm fine where I am," Beatrice says, using the last of her energy. Quietly, Peter and Annie dig a hole, put Beatrice in it, lay a flower on her, cover the hole, and mark it with a rock and 2 flowers. "Rest in peace, Beatrice," they both mutter quietly. Annie flies away for shelter, and Peter hops to Beatrice's hive, telling the bees the news. From then on, the bees were always careful to not lose their temper, but it would happen occasionally.