Chapter 9. Dragon's Blood

It's been six months since Viserys rejected Cerys, and during that time she's been called the Queen Who Never Was so many times that she's lost count. But the most offensive thing is that her father laughed at her with them. He said, "Cutting out tongues will not change the essence. Let them talk."
Viserys didn't even try to protect his daughter and that was the worst thing about this situation. After all, ignoring ridicule, he encouraged them. But in addition, as if this were not enough, the man appointed Cerys as his cupbearer.

From heir to the throne to cupbearer of the King. People were making fun of her, she heard it. As soon as they saw her, they started laughing. But as soon as the princess pulled out their nails in a fit of anger, the laughter behind her stopped. Now, when she walked through the corridors, they called her a Mad Bitch, but in any case it was better than the previous nickname. At least that's what Cerys thought.

"Ser Ryam was a strong Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. But he was ill for some time. He passed in peace, I hope?" Viserys asked, taking a sip of wine from his cup.

"Yes, Your Grace. He was found to have passed gently in his sleep. His remains are being prepared by the Silent Sisters."

"Your Grace. My lords. The Kingsguard must soon be restored to its full complement of seven. With the help of the Hand, I've invited a number of fine candidates to court. All have passed fair trials."

The doors opened, admitting Corlys Velaryon into the room. Rhaenyra tried to whisper something to her sister, but she carefully pretended to be busy laying papers on the table. She turned her body a little to better hear what the conversation was about.

"Four ships have now been lost. The last one was flying my banner. The Stepstones have now grown into a conflagration, yet you sit here and dither about court business."

"If you have anything to discuss, Lord Corlys—" The man began.

"I want to know what is to be done about my ships and my men."

"The Crown will compensate you for your ship and crew, and make an offering to the men's families." Otto answered.

"I don't want compensation." Corlys spat, turning to the King. "I want to seize the Stepstones by force and burn out this Crabfeeder!"

"I'm not ready to start a war with the Free Cities." Cerys rolled her eyes at her father's remark.

He never knew how to do this. To be a King.

"These pirates are not the Free Cities!"

"Who do you think provides them with their ships and tender?"

"In all of its history, my lord, the Seven Kingdoms have never entered open war with the Free Cities."

"If Aegon thought the same, you wouldn't be sitting in that chair right now, you pompous turkey." The girl muttered, but it seems her indignation was too loud because everyone was staring at her.

"Cerys," Her father said, trying not to burn with shame. "I think you should apologize."

The princess turned her gaze to the lord whom she had insulted.

"The War at the Stepstones is important, father. We have no right to weakness and mistakes. People are dying. Hundreds and thousands, while you, my lord, cannot decide what to eat for breakfast."

"I don't remember asking for your opinion on this." Viserys reminded her with a mocking tone in his voice.

Cerys pursed her lips, hesitantly turning away. She had something to say, but decided to leave it on the tip of her tongue.