Think Fast

I barely had time to react before I felt a wave of drowsiness wash over me. I tried to reach for my dagger, but my limbs were too heavy to move. I fell to my knees, unable to fight the darkness that engulfed me.

We barely even made it outside of the tavern before he decided to pull this shit. Well. That's what I get for thinking about trusting a spawn. Still, he could've made it a bit more fun and attempted to create some grand illusion. I was more pissed and insulted than feeling betrayed.

"Aww. Sorry, cutie. Nothing personal." I heard him whisper in my ear, a slight pout in his voice. "Perhaps I lied a wee bit. I don't need an escort. I need a sacrifice. And you're on the menu, darling."

He lifted from the ground and threw me over his shoulder. He walked past onlookers, ignoring their curious glances. He whistled a cheerful tune as he made his way to the coven. Hid home.

He was right about one thing. He did hear everything. He heard about the grand duke, and how he was the target of a Bhaal tribe. He heard about the crown, and how it was a powerful artifact that we still knew little about, though rumors had made their rounds. He heard about me, and how I was the leader of the tribe, and how I had a special connection to Bhaal himself.

He wanted it all for his master. The crown, the power, and the glory. His master wanted to become a god. And by proximity, his coven would be rocketed to power as well. Poor, delusional soul. He thinks this will change the relationship between master and spawn. He thinks his master will actually reward him for this.

Unfortunate.

He knew that only a Bhaal spawn could activate the crown, and only with their own blood. Or so it had been rumored. He knew that if he killed me and took my blood, he could use it to unlock the crown's abilities. He though that if his master wore the crown, he could command Bhaal's army of murderers and conquer the world.

He needed to act fast. He knew that Sceleritas, my loyal butler and friend, would notice my absence soon. He knew that Sceleritas would track me down and try to rescue me. He knew that Sceleritas was not someone to be trifled with.

But he didn't care. He was confident in his plan. He was confident in his abilities. He was confident in his charm.

He was wrong.

As he approached the coven, he felt a sudden pain in his chest. He looked down and saw a silver blade protruding from his heart. He dropped me on the ground and fell, gasping for air.

I stood, holding another dagger in my hand. I dusted my clothes and looked back at him. He wore a shocked expression, mouth agape.

"My sweat, naive vampy," I said amused. "You didn't think I'd be that easy, did you?"