Into the Circus

You awoke. You're not sure when, nor how, all you knew was that you woke up and something was fundamentally wrong. You blinked the odd white from your eyes, wincing at the jumbled mess of colours before you, nausea and exhaustion radiating off of you in waves.

You attempt to shield your eyes from the blinding light with your left hand, before realising something. You looked... cartoonish. People aren't supposed to look like that, no, no, no. Even just judging off of you hand, you knew something was up, something was wrong with this place.

It sent a shiver up your spine, and you sat up, glancing at your childishly colourful surrounds fearfully.

Not even noticing the weird thing behind you until it had floated down onto the ground to tap you on the shoulder.

You flinched, startled, and it quickly backed up, to your relief.

It looked odd. Like a pair of floating dentures with weird eyes resting on a tongue that looked far too perfect to be real. And, on to of all that, it all seemed to be floating atop the thing's body.

And then it spoke.

"Good day, ladies and gents, and welcome to the Amazing Digital Circus! I, Caine, am your ringmaster, and my friend behind me has stumbled upon quite the gold-mine, if I do say so myself!"

Cain chuckled, pausing his over-exaugurated, cartoonish movements for a moment. Then, it summoned a odd, bubble-like create by his side.

"Now then, whatever has happened to our gusts, hm? I suppose everyone should meet the new arrival!"

Cain chuckled again, sending the bubble to bring everyone over.

You couldn't help at as you were finally allowed a moment to speak.

"What the {squeak sound] is this place, and what are you!?"

You paused for a moment.

"And why the F.U.C.K. am I getting censored?" 

You spelled it out as to not be censored, which Caine didn't seem to like.

"Oh-ho-ho there! This show is family friendly, no cussing shall be allowed, nor the spelling of such words!"

Caine said theatrically. You just glared in disbelief, despite him seeming unbothered by it. He paused, waiting for you to speak, and, when you didn't, he decided to fill the silence by turning to face you.

"Now then! New arrival, may I ask you for your name?"

You paused, thinking for a moment. The odd anaemic haze was yet to be lifted, and you were confused. What was your name? Surely you should know, unless you had became utterly insane-

"What is my name?!"

You yelled, panicked. Caine only chuckled, far too mischievously for your liking. Something was off about him.

"Oh-ho! Now, that's the thing- no, a pleasure- of the digital circus! One of the very few things beyond my reach of control are your minds, so everyone has the opportunity to choose their new name! A clean slate, if you will."

The ringmaster waited expectantly, ad you decided that if he had the lips to move, the corners of them would be lifted into an eerily cheerful smile. You shuddered, deciding that you will decide on a name quickly to end the thick, uncomfortable silence. 

Thankfully, he seemed to like it.

"Well the, new arrival, I suppose you should go meet your new friends!"

He pushed you off of the stage, admittedly rather gently, but you glared at him nevertheless.

"Come, come! Hurry now, we don't want to waste our time, now, do we?"

Reluctantly, you followed.

Author note:

Next chapter you will meet the rest of the characters! As I'm currently going through a bit of a hyper fixation and have nothing better to do, the first portion of this should come out in quick succession. As you are reading this, I am probably writing as I barely sleep, eat or drink. Probably 20 out of 24 hours today will be spent on this, and that's with an hour of pilot-rewatching.

In the future I am planning a hazbin fic, at which point the updates will slow down.