Chapter 7 - James

Alex's POV:

James smiled at me.

"Hey Alex."

I put away the knife and re-wrapped my wounds. I pushed my hoodie sleeve over my left arm to cover the bandages.

"They're going to find out anyway, Alex." He said. I ignored him.

I pushed past him and exited out the bathroom.

I walked down the stairs and there he was at the bottom, waiting.

"You can't run away from me, Alex." That was a sentence that was usually said to be a threat but when I looked at his face, I could only see remorse.

"James, I don't want to talk to you right now." I said. He brought back too many bad memories.

"Fine, Alex." He walked behind a wall and when I went after him, he was gone.

I walked to the dining room but it took me a little while since I wasn't exactly used to this house. It was a little too big to my liking. (A/N: DON'T)

I eventually found the table and sat down. Peter and Elizabeth were already sitting and waiting. If I hadn't walked in on them, I wouldn't have known.

Peter turned to me as I sat down.

"Did you ask the principal?" He asked.

No.

"Yes." I said.

One for lying.

I flinched at the thought but didn't correct myself.

"I don't see why he can't just have a dorm." Elizabeth said.

"Liz, we have had this conversation so many times." He sighed.

"It's not like he's going to do anything." Elizabeth said, winking at me.

She's trying to help me. Why?

"Liz, I promised Rachel."

I flinched at my mother's name. The hurricane was still a little fresh to me.

"It's fine, Mrs. Elizabeth." I wasn't close to her, so I called her that.

She smiled sadly at me, understanding.

"What did the principal say?" Peter asked.

"He said that it was fine if I didn't want the dorm, he could give it to other people." That made me feel guilty. I was still occupying it.

A big lie. This counts as two.

"That's amazing." Peter said, clapping his hands together.

Look at how happy he is. This wasn't my subconscious talking anymore.

I suddenly felt a pressure on my shoulders.

"Look at them Alexander." I shivered at my full name. Whatever was talking to me was now whispering in my ear.

"How happy they are."

I sat there smiling, looking at Peter and Elizabeth meanwhile inside I was freaking out.

I told you to leave me alone, James. I said in my head.

"I know." James whispered in my ear. Then disappeared.

"Alex?" Elizabeth said loudly.

"Yes?" I asked.

What just happened?

"Peter said he's going to make dinner and I thought we could catch up." She smiled warmly. It kind of reminded me of John.

"Sure."

There was a long silence.

"Are you okay, Alex?"

That wasn't what I expected her to ask. I expected a 'what's your favorite colour?'

"I'm fine." I lied.

"Are you sure?" She pressed on.

"Yes." I said a little sharply.

I sat up a little straighter.

"It's just a little hard." I said as I ignored the threat of tears in my eyes, blinking them away.

"How?" She said.

Pressed too hard.

I got up off my seat and walked to the front door. I could hear her apologizing and calling after me.

She caught up to me.

"I'm sorry Alex."

"It's fine." I said.

I need to get out of here.

"I'm going to get coffee." I said and closed the door without inviting her.