Chapter 8 - New Recruit

John's POV:

I eventually made it to work, but I ended up being fifteen minutes late.

I casually slipped into the locker room like I have been there the entire time. I grabbed out my dark green apron from my locker and tied it around my waist. I smoothed out the creases and made my way to the bathroom.

I cleaned my face to make it look like I haven't been crying my eyes out at all.

I opened the bathroom door and was immediately jump-scared by my boss. I clutched my racing heart, my adrenaline rising at the unexpected scare.

"Where exactly were you?" My boss asked, crossing his arms. A perfectly aligned name tag reading 'Benny' on it. When he crossed his arms, it pushed up the name tag slightly so he uncrossed them and fixed his name tag.

"Nowhere." I mumbled, pushing past him. I didn't know Benny that well so I had no interest in telling him what I was doing.

"John." He called after me, calmly. I ignored him.

"JOHN IF YOU DON'T GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE, I'M GONNA FIRE YOU!"

I froze and turned around, ignoring the embarrassed blush that dared to creep onto my cheeks.

Great, I get yelled by my friend about my job and my boss threatens to fire me. I just love my life.

"Great," Benny said, clapping his hands together as I walk back to him. "I want to introduce you to to Maria, uhm-" He rubs the back of his neck nervously looking behind him.

I didn't notice the girl until she stepped out behind him. She had her curly hair tied in a ponytail with a red elastic band, full rouged lips covered by red lipstick. She wore a red top with black jeans.

She's quite attractive, I said in my head as I looked her up and down. Too bad I'm gay.

"Reynolds," she said, finishing Benny's sentence. As she said it, I noticed a slight flinch in her eyes.

Hmm, who would be scared of their own last name?

"She's the new recruit around here." Benny said, proudly.

Ok and?

"I want you to train her." He said, making me slightly happy. "Not because you're good or anything." Benny finished, immediately breaking the slight happiness I felt.

Well played.

He scanned my features for anything else he would hope to crush.

"Because you were late." He said finally. My heart felt as if it got squeezed as the memories flooded back to me.

Maria smiled nervously at me. I blinked at her.

"Fine." I sighed as I snatched my name tag off and into my apron pocket, replacing it with the words 'training'.