Chapter 12 - Bench

John's POV:

I took off my apron and placed it into my locker.

I walked out of the locker room and thanked Usnavi for helping me and Benny clean up.

"One day I'll visit your bodega." I promised. He beamed at me.

"How is the business there anyway?" Benny asked, placing the broom back on the wall.

"Amazing. Oh yeah, you know Vanessa?" He asked.

"No way." Benny gasped as Usnavi handed me and him a wedding invite.

"Yes way." He smiled.

"Wow, if you can get married, there's hope for our ass after all." I winked at Benny and he nodded his head.

"Hey, I'm not that bad."

"Hell yeah you are." I said, tucking the invite into my apron pocket.

"I hate both of you."

"What's gonna happen to Sonny then?" Benny asked.

Usnavi sighed and hung the wet towel near the window.

"I don't know. He wants to do so many things that I can't keep up with. It would be unfair to keep him tied down to the bodega, wouldn't it?"

I hummed in agreement. Usnavi reminded me a lot of what I always expected a dad to be. It kinda broke my heart when I realize that I will never get that kind of father.

"I'm sorry guys but I got class tomorrow and really need to get some sleep." I said.

I passed Usnavi and patted him on the back reassuringly.

I exited the coffee shop. I knew Sonny but not too well, Usnavi talked about him a lot. I knew he wanted to be a U.S citizen as much as I wanted a good father. It was his dream to get into a college where he was accepted as a person.

I looked up and saw Alex sitting on a bench, looking up at the sky, clutching his coffee tightly.

He likes the stars. That's cute.

I sat next to him on the bench.

"Hey John." He said, not looking at me.

How did he know it was me?

"Hey Alex." I smiled. I looked up at the stars. They were pretty tonight.

Silence.

"What's your dream?" Alex asked, suddenly. I didn't expect that question.

"A father that loves me." I said sadly, breaking my sight from the stars and look at Alex.

Alex looked back at me, then looked down, eyes sad.

"Honestly, same." He whispered lowly. I barely heard him.

He understood me. There were only a few people like him. I enjoyed that.

Why is Alex everywhere I go?

I glance up at the sky again.

What is the universe trying to tell me?

A star merely winked at me.