Chapter 28 - Breakdown #2 / Was that always in that tree?

Tw: mention of knife

Alex's POV:

I was awoken to the sound of lots of papers being smashed onto the table.

"Thanks for butting in." Peter said through gritted teeth. He rested his elbow on the huge stack of papers and rubbed his eyes sleepily.

"What is all this?" I said groggily. I looked around to see that I had accidentally fallen asleep on the dining table. I yawned.

"Divorce papers." Peter muttered, squeezing the bridge of his nose. My thoughts cleared immediately and all the sleepiness I felt earlier disappeared.

"WHAT?!" I screamed, jumping out of my seat and grabbing the paper that rested on top. I read it frantically.

My eyes rested on the first few words.

"Application by:

▢ husband alone

▢ wife alone

✓ both parties jointly"

"But I thought you loved each other." I said, showing him the section.

There was no sign of emotion on his face.

I searched his eyes as my own filled with tears.

The only thing I had close to family left is going away.

"Why?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

"We just can't do it anymore Alex." He said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"What, is it in the bedroom or something, because if it is I can really help with tha-"

"NO." Peter stopped me, flushing with embarrassment. "No, nothing to do with the bedroom. It's just that we now realize that we are not right for each other."

"Not right for each other how? You two are perfect." I groaned loudly at their stupidity, raking a hand through my hair in frustration.

They were right for each other but they were being so stubborn about it. What can't they see that I do?

"I need to go." I muttered. I can't take this anymore. It was hard enough that I don't have my own family anymore-

Tears came to my eyes at the thought, but I knew I couldn't think of that right now. This wasn't about me. This was about their marriage that has and will always have potential. This was about them.

"Or is it?" James's voice said in a mocking tone. At least I still had him.

"Where have you been?" I asked, not looking him in the eye as I made my way upstairs. He disappeared for a while and I wasn't sure where he went, but I wasn't actually interested. I just needed to keep my mind off this whole marriage.

"Are you really trying to use the deflecting tool on me?" He asked in a offended tone. I couldn't tell if he was pretending or not.

I didn't answer his question and entered the bathroom, meeting his gaze in the bathroom mirror. He gave me a pitying look and nodded, closing the door firmly behind him and me, locking it.

I sighed as I rested my head on the mirror, my hands laying on opposite sides of the bathroom sink. Tears streamed freely down my face that I didn't dare stop. I needed this right now.

I took a deep shuddering breath and saw a glimpse of James in the corner of my eyes. He wasn't saying anything or taunting me but I wish he would. Because of me, those two are getting divorced. They think that the reason they are separating is because they lost love for each other but I knew that wasn't true. It was just something they said to me to not make me feel bad that I teared their marriage apart. I watched them as they loved each other before, when I wasn't theirs yet, when I was truly happy as well.