Part 2

Julia had suspected she would have to ask many questions regarding the final examination but Emmeth had proven to be more than useful. He had explained that in many ways Callico was not picky at all with who they hired. Not many had the sight to begin with, much more mana to add. It was simply scarce and Callico did not have the luxury to choose.

Secondly, they took anyone who could pass the physical exam, nothing less than a sprint and just a stamina test in general. They needed to be able to run, considering some creatures they faced would come out stronger than they were, it was a matter of life or death.

Third, when they passed all the exams, they would have to go through a test run in a ring. The monsters summoned are random so one did have to battle a creature in front of everyone to prove they could fight for real. Here, the exam itself is dangerous and some have died in the past. They would have to sign a non-liability paper before they enter the exam. Emmeth suggested it was better to die than walk out of there crippled because they offered no compensation.

"Afterwards, they'll tell you on the spot if you are accepted and if you are you'll get a three-month probation period. But you'll get a nice house you can share with your teammates and you'll get all your expenses paid. Including schooling on demonology and magic. So that's cool." Emmeth finished, emptying his cup of coffee before standing up.

Rick didn't look up, but Julia couldn't help but notice the way he looked at Rick. As if he had many regrets he wanted to confess but could not.

"Thanks for the beer and coffee. I'll see you at the examination?"

"See you there," Rick answered before returning his gaze. A moment of awkwardness ensued, but it soon passed. Emmeth left, taking the tension he had created with him.

Next to her, Rick relaxed, taking over the beer Emmeth left behind.

Julia looked over the seat before sliding back onto her seat, "What was that about? What happened between you two?"

Rick looked over to her with a slight grin, "Looking at what he said, I guess you are going to pass the examination after all, eh?"

"I guess so. Their website made it seem like only the powerful can get through. I was about to ask him if he could just let me pass. I could pay him back after I get the job."

Rick coughed out his beer, covering his mouth, "What!?"

"I mean... if it was necessary..."

"Alright. Alright. I held my end of the deal now you have to hold your end. What's your ability? Tell me." Rick looked at her intently. This close she could smell cologne on his body and the scent of smoke from the sugar factory. Usually, it would calm her nerves, but knowing that she had been keeping a secret from him now only made her feel breathless.

"You want to know my ability?"

"Yes. Tell me."

"Alright... well... if you must know... I... don't even have mana."

Although Rick's expression did not change, she could see he was stunned to silence, searching her face with wonderment.

"You... don't have mana?" Rick finally asked although Julia had expected something more.

Rick moved away, both hands locked behind his head, his usual expressionless face folded into a sorrowful realization, "You don't have mana, and you want to be a Willower? You want to be a shadow soldier with... no special abilities?" He asked it as if in shock, "But you said... you said..."

"I said I'll tell you my ability if you help me and my ability is that I don't have one," Julia answered, each word felt wrong as it came out of her mouth. The look on his face; was a mixture of betrayal, shock, and horror.