Chapter 2 - A Love Like No Other

"You lied to me. You're not going to survive for long being a powerless Willower and I helped you get there." Was the last thing Rick said to Julia before they parted ways. His pale face and the hurt in his eyes haunted her thoughts as Julia continued her path home, where she knew another heartbreaking conversation would follow. But one she had prepared for a long time ago, even before she started training.

Julia had spent sleepless nights in bed, staring at the white ceiling of her room, imagining how the conversation would go. The look on their faces as they accepted her wish to become a shadow soldier. In her mind, most of the time pride believed that their eldest daughter would survive and some other times in cries of desperation, knowing well that she might not survive. However, the outcome she always started the same way, explained the same things, and went on the same path regardless. She wanted to be a Willower because it was the only thing that could spark a bit of excitement in her life, a flicker of fire in the darkness. Like a moth, she was drawn to it and have it, no matter how long, she shall.

"Julli! Julli Julli Julli!" A cheer came from the front of her small family home. A girl with short brown hair jumped from where she sat, half skipping towards her.

Julia smiled, opening the small gate of her house, a little startled that she reached home so fast. "Guess what I brought you."

Mala Padler, her little sister stood on her toes as she leaned on the fence with both hands. She waited patiently as Julia took out a second-hand copy of Aspired Spirit, a young adult best-selling magazine. Mala took it almost with a squeal, "Oh thank you thank you thank you, I love you!" She exclaimed.

"There's supposed to be a free poster in there, but I guess someone took it already." Julia put an arm over her sister, who in return did the same. Mala shrugged, "It's okay. I'm just looking for the articles and some pictures I can cut out."

"Cool. What's the hottest gossip then?" Julia followed Mala into the house and was greeted by a rich smell of vegetable soup and steamed rice. "Mom, Dad! I'm home!"

"Oh good you're home." Mia Padler stood at the kitchen door, wiping her hands with a piece of cloth, "Maybe next time give us an explanation also? Not just 'I'm coming home late, see you later'?" She demanded. Their shared pair of brown eyes rested heavily on her.

Julia went to give her mother a hug, her heart beating at an alarming rate. "Next time, I promise."

"Are you alright?" Mother asked, examining Julia. While Mala leaned against the hallway, reading the magazine. Her father looked over his armchair from the other room, curious.

"I'm fine Mom. I promise."

"But you look so pale. Oh! And your hands are cold!" Mother exclaimed worriedly. Julia gave her another hug, "I'm fine Mom, I'm gonna get changed."

"She's probably tired from training. The girl needs to stay fit!" Said Father, defending her from the living room. Mala rolled her eyes, then went passed them to the stairs. Julia went over to give her father a peck on the cheek before quickly following Mala to their shared bedroom. Julia heard their mother mumble about her being obsessed, before closing the door behind her.

"What was that?" Julia demanded.

"What was what?"

"That stupid eye-roll!" Julia slammed a pillow in Mala's face, not without care. Mala chuckled, throwing an old stuffed bear at Julia, which landed on the door. She sat at the bed of Mala's bed, wondering what her younger sister would say about her decision.

"It wasn't about you, it's this stupid article," Mala explained. She showed her older sister a page from the magazine, which Julia took. She examined a picture of a boy standing in a simple pose, staring at the reader. Even in the dimly lit room, Julia noticed the attractive shape of the boy's eyes, the rectangular jaw, and cheekbones. The sensual look and slightly parted lips. She could not help but compare him to Rick, who looked like he could be in a magazine as well.

Where this boy looked like a fairy from a spring meadow, Rick looked like he ruled over the crows. The only thing that took from it was his height. Rick was small indeed. Julia thought. She quickly skimmed over the article and found it horrendous.

The boy on the page was Akira Roscoe, the oldest member of the top international boy band; Biohazard. He was found dead at the age of twenty-five in his penthouse from poisoning. The young musician was killed and although they did not know who did it, Martian Entertainment will honor his memory...

"By finding a replacement?" Julia blinked at this.

"They said if they keep his spot empty for long, then the fandom will only be sad because they'll always be reminded of his absence," Mala explained, leaning back against a mountain of pillows. Julia sympathized with Akira, he was only twenty-five when he died and although he was an international star he was to be replaced just like that.

"Makes you think right?"

"About what?"

"About how we should best live our lives. We'll all be forgotten at some point."

"I guess so. But what are we going to do? We can't afford to go to school and even if we could everything is taken by AI." Mala said, sounding tired and defeated. Julia rolled Mala over so that the younger girl laid on her back, then looked into her eyes, "Don't you worry, there are many nice interesting jobs you can do."

"Like what?"

"You'll have to decide for yourself."

Mala frowned at this, "Even if I wanted to, it's not like we can afford it. Mom and Dad still need to think about you. And then me."

"No. They won't have to think about me. You want to know why?"

"Why?" Mala looked at her, curious.

"Because I'm going to be a Willower," Julia answered with a whisper. Mala's eyes widened, her lips parted in surprise, "You can't mean it."

"Oh, but I do." Julia insisted, "I'm going to live the life I always wanted. A life of adventure, mystery, and danger. So you don't have to worry. They'll only have you to think about once I'm gone." Julia assured her.

Mala stared at her older sister, one hand on her shoulder, one hand holding Julia's. The brown of her eyes reflected Julia's face as her lips began to tremble. Julia opened her mouth to speak, but Mala beat her to it, "A Willower, like Rick's older brother? What if you don't come back?"

Julia shook Mala playfully, "Hey! Don't think about that. I'm coming back, don't you worry. And even if I don't... things are only going to get better. That's a guarantee." Julia kissed her younger sister on the temple, ignoring her protest.

Julia went to her wardrobe and then took out an evening dress, slipping them on before grabbing her bathrobe. Mala sat quietly in the corner, concern plastered all over her face.

"Will you relax? I'm going down to talk to Mom. You want to come?"

Mala shook her head slowly, her jaw clenched. Julia shrugged, "Fine. Stay up here then. Being all dramatic and whatnot." Before Mala could answer Julia closed the door behind her.