chapter 8

Panic sank into Viren's stomach. What would happen if Aaravos was discovered in their stall? What if a guard saw them? What would happen to Aaravos? He dug his fingers into Aaravos' shoulder, worry creasing his forehead.

"You need to hide. Teleport. Become invisible. Do something." Aaravos smirked.

"Worried?"

"Yes," Viren said with a hard stare. He wasn't here for Aaravos' jokes abd flirtations.

Aaravos blinked. He averted Viren's gaze, his cheeks turning a deep purple. "Well you don't have to be. You're the only one who can see me. Very simple enchantment."

"Well that's a relief."

"You...really care?"

"Yes, you know that."

"No I don't!" Aaravos muttered frustratedly, rushing towards Viren, his hands on Viren's face.

"Of course you do. I wished you into being here. I haven't felt like this since
..she was still around. Clearly I care although I really wish I didn't. ...do you?"

"I... don't know."

"Why did you save me, Aaravos?" Viren asked patiently, holding his hands against his face.

"Because I felt heartbroken without you."

"Why did you come here and leave me messages everyday?"

"Because I'd have felt heartbroken if I continued to watch you from the third person."

"And why is that?"

"Because....I think I love you."

Viren pressed a soft peck against Aaravos.

"There you go. I love you, too."

Aaravos' mind spun.

"How long have you known?'

"About you? I figured by the millionth note, it was more than boredom keeping you here. About me? I figured it wasn't normal to casually consider a star-touch elf to be inordinately sexy. So."

"Inordinately sexy, huh? D'you know I find the way you use scholarly language in a colloquial context to be an inordinate turn on."

"I find the fact that you can keep up with my pedantic vernacular to be even more of a turn on."

Aaravos smiled into a kiss and Viren pulled him into his arms, a grip unfaltering. Neither wanted to let go. Neither wanted to breathe. They just wanted to stay interlocked forever. They wanted the world to pause and freeze just for them, like they were miniature figurines in a snow globe, little specks of glitter fluttering around them every now and then. But they didn't live in a vaccuum. Nor a snow globe. And they eventually parted for air and other such reasons.

"You won't....start wars and genocides now that you're out, are you?"

"You'd think this conversation would take precedence over making out-"

"Answer the question, Aaravos," Viren said quietly, his eyes on the ground.

"Would you still love me if I did?"

"I think I would and that's what scares me."

"Well. I'm over genocide anyway."

Viren snapped his head up to look at the elf.
"Seriously??"

"I think I've found that mortal creatures... are worth preserving."

Viren smashed his lips against Aaravos'. Aaravos giggled. "Why would I commit mass genocide if I could just make out with you instead?"

"Exactly," Viren breathed out with a smile.