11

The next morning, Lincoln and Ronnie Anne met for breakfast at the local diner Bob's Bossin' Burgers. Ronnie orders a coffee with two sugars and one cream, whereas Lincoln orders a glass of wine. "You're drinking this early?" Ronnie asks him. "After what I saw last night? Hell yeah I'm gonna drink. I wish I didn't see any of it to be honest. Maybe if I drink enough of this wine I'll forget." Filled with intrigue, she leans forward on her hands, unbelievably interested in Lincoln's rendezvous from last night. "What happened? Was he any good? Did he kill any vampires? Is he really a werewolf?" Lincoln nearly flinches at the word. "He really is a werewolf. He turned right in front of me. Grew a bunch of hair and big claws and stuff—all of what you'd imagine. And yes, I watched him kill a vampire." Saying that was difficult for him, and he had to take a drink of wine to keep speaking. "God, it was like no big deal to him. He used one of his big furry, clawed hands and just... split through his throat. Then he swiped again, but this time, only to take off the head and collect it. I've seen a lot of vampires bleed but... I didn't know they could break like that." The image of the vampire's throat being hacked open, and the blood and specs of muscle raining down on him became vivid in his mind. He took another drink, but this time he was so anxious he lost control of himself and chugged the whole glass.

"Lincoln, maybe you should slow down... It's okay, you don't have to talk about it. Do you think he could do the job for us? Could he find them you think?" Lincoln didn't want to speak. His whole system was becoming exhausted. The image of that vampire's throat played on repeat. "He's powerful enough, but whether he's right for the job or not? I don't know. He looked pretty capable." The waitress comes by and asks if they're enjoying their drinks. Ronnie tells her that she's never had a better coffee, and Lincoln asks for another glass of wine. She returns with his glass full again. He takes another generous sip as the waitress departs. Ronnie Anne looks at him and notices that his cheeks are getting a bit flushed. "Lincoln, I wanted to tell you something, and I'm hoping that we feel the same way." He wiped the wine off his mouth and paid attention. "This past few weeks I've been having... feelings. Romantic sort of feelings. And it's just... I wanted to tell you in person. I really like you, Lincoln, and I think I might actually... love you. But if you don't feel the same way, it's okay! I totally understand! I've just never felt this way and I thought I should tell you because... I don't know." She's avoiding eye contact but he's still focusing on her eyes.

"Ronnie... you—" But before anything could be said, the window beside them, allowing sight of the street, smashes. Patrons begin screaming and huddling against the wall or behind the counter. Everyone is terrified. Lincoln sustained a bad hit from something—whatever it was that came through that window. The glass shards had also scraped by him, cutting right through his shoulders. He'd fallen to the floor, while everyone around him kept watching the window with trepidation. When he finally regains his strength and his mind shakes the disorientation, he looks up at the window and sees the culprit. Of course, what else would do it, but vampires? Three of them, all in long brown coats and black sun hats. "Hello everyone! Do not be afraid" says the leading vampire. "We don't come in search of harm. Actually, we look to cooperate with all of you." Unfortunately, people are programmed to "fight" or "flight" in situations like this, and one man did not have the time to think rationally. He ran out from behind the counter and went for the door. He was grabbed, slammed down on a table, and ripped to shreds by the other two vampires. The first one kept speaking. "See? That's what happens when you don't want to be civil. Alright everybody, listen up, or you'll end up like your fast friend. We're going to make this fun. We three aren't too thirsty today, so we don't intend on sucking all of you dry. You need to decide among yourselves which two people you're going to give us, or else the rest of you will be killed."