Chapter Eight

Mary and the children came out of the house, she walked up and greeted them.

"My, don't you both look pretty, I remember when I got my first headdress. The kids and I were going to do some training, and I was wondering if you wanted to help teach some things."

"Sure, but where are we going to do it?" Spyro asked

"Michael offered us the old training grounds at the dock, so I thought we should use those." Mary answered, calling the kids over.

Jake walked out of the house with a satchel around his neck, and the group took off. The kids couldn't fly yet, so they rode on the older dragon's backs, spreading there wings wide to feel the air rushing through them. Sunny rode on Spyro's back, he glided the airstreams, smiling at Cynder. They flew over the dock, looking for the training grounds. The flew over Michael, who looked up and nodded his head in the right direction.

"Is he everywhere?" Cynder asked Spyro, who shrugged in response.

They landed at the abandoned training grounds and the kids jumped off to look around.

Jake set down his satchel and looked at the dummies that were still there.

"I thought this place was unused" he said

"They're indestructible, when you destroy them, they reconstitute themselves" Spyro answered

Then, for affect, Spyro pulled his sword out and flung an electric blast at the nearest dummy. It exploded, sending wood and straw flying. Then, suddenly, the dummy sprang back up as if nothing happened.

"Wooooh" The kids said in unison

"Can you teach me to do that" Storm asked

"When you're older" Spyro answered "When you can actually lift this sword"

"Let's start with your elemental exercises" Jake said, lining the kids up with their own dummies.

The young dragons started practicing, Storm was shooting lightning bolts, Ray was using light beams, and Sammy was trying to throw water blasts. After a while of practicing, the kids stopped and took a snack break. Then Mary took them and started teaching them some basic fighting moves. The kids were struggling to see the point of the exercises.

"Maybe I should find a sparring partner to show how it's done" Mary turned to Spyro "How about you?"

Spyro looked surprised, then smirked "Are you sure?"

"A full duel, element powers and fighting moves, let's do it" She answered

Spyro got up and entered a ring, then smirked again. Mary charged forward, but Spyro leaped right, and she flew past. Then she flipped around and launched a fireball. Spyro blocked the move with a simple blast of water. When the steam lifted, Spyro was gone. Mary looked around, then leaped forward as Spyro landed behind her. But Spyro was too fast, he blasted Mary with an air stream and she flew out of the ring.

"I had to fight apes and other evil creatures since I was younger than them." He told her, reaching out and helping her up "Cynder and Michael are the only ones who can beat me in a full duel."

Cynder chuckled

"Wow, maybe we should just try some simple examples" Mary replied

They began to set in certain positions, and explained how to defend and attack with them. Then they taught them basic attacks and element blasts. Exhausted, Spyro walked back to the others, and laid down.

"You are a really good fighter" Jake told him, watching the kids start playing around with wooden swords, chasing and screaming

"Yeah, I've had a lot of experience, In the worst ways" He answered, looking over at Cynder