FOURTEEN - "Dead by dawn!"

FOURTEEN - "DEAD BY DAWN!"

"Run!"

"Dead by dawn..."

Bloodied boots padding on the floor.

The choked gasps of a family unit.

The clanging of a rifle in untrained arms.

"Dead by dawn!"

The Monde Apartment complex was a light with an array of sounds never known to its decaying walls before. It had heard some bloodshed in its time, spilled between arguing lovers, seen a fight or two, but it had never truly witnessed even a morsel compared to what the Kandar demon had brought beneath its roof. Anguish, and suffering, and pain, and screams and an army of the dead. If hell had risen up from its place in the ground and found home upon the earth, then it was the 14th floor.

Typically, out of all the floors, those who lived on the 14th had always been the friendliest. They were neighbours, friends, even family in some instances. There was Gabe and his two younger brothers, Mr Fonda and his cat, Ellie and the kids, and Natalie and David. They'd always worked as a unit; Ellie would bake cookies for all the kids, Gabe was there to aid in everyone's worries, Mr Fonda was the resident handyman - despite his crankiness and complaints no task was ever too large, Natalie and David were the floors babysitters, always happy to take the kids to a movie or over to the park - anything to get them out of their parents hair, besides the two couldn't have kids of their own since the accident, so this had become the next best thing. They were unified in all aspects of life, and that night paid no difference. Only this time they were unified in death too.

Danny couldn't help but think back to those times at the sight of them all dead, torn apart and clawing their way towards him.

"Danny come on!" Beth pulled at his shirt, dragging him into the elevator.

The doors began to close as the four of them held their breath, Lyds raised the rifle, shaking, waiting, but the doors only reopened again.

"What the fuck... What do we do?"

"They're getting closer!"

"I can hold them off-"

"Are you fucking crazy?" Danny gripped her arm. "No!"

Perhaps she was crazy. At least that was the way Lyds felt, after so long, after three years of unrequited, and a whole night of torture, Lydia Greystone honestly felt insane. Because for the first time in her life, when she looked at Danny, she knew he'd been right about it all.