ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

𝕬ll eyes were on them.

Every corner they turned, every corridor they walked through, every room they entered, backs straightened, whispers loudened and eyes, beady and keen, latched onto them, watching every single move like hawks. The hot topic. Romie and Regulus had quite quickly become the hot topic of Hogwarts. There was no escape, the names of Romie Lupin and Regulus Black covered ninety percent of the school's vocabulary. The last ten percent belonged to none other than the biggest bunch of misfits Hogwarts has ever seen.

The Marauders.

Surprisingly, Romie hadn't seen much of them, hadn't been accosted or confronted by her outrageously protective werewolf of an older brother as she originally expected to be after the show made of the Quidditch match. There'd barely been so much as an angry furrow of brows or scarily tight clench of a jaw. There'd barely been his presence at all.

Until now.

Chairs. All four of them, surrounding the library table the Gryffindor girl tenanted privately for the afternoon, flew backwards, rather impeccably, in sync with one another. Most likely rehearsed exhaustively. The same for the swift scoots back in to the table. Exceedingly familiar with the wacky antics of the group, Romie merely flips to the next page of her borrowed book copy on advanced potions, not bothering to even spare them a glance.

"You cannot date Regulus Black"

Blunt. Direct. Straight to the point. Romie's eyebrows rose a fraction, flipping through the next couple of pages rather loud and exaggerated as she retorts in return,

"My day has been relatively pleasant, thank you ever so much for asking. And yours?"

Ever the people pleaser, James leans forwards on his chair, cracking that big goofy grin that could fill the most emptiest of hearts with boundless joy, answering in a tone so enthusiastic Romie couldn't help the slight twitch to her lips,

"Brilliant, thanks! Lily and I had not one, but two whole conversations! I reckon by tonight, we could be at three but i'm trying not to jinx—"

He suddenly halts, finally catching sight of the three incredulous stares that had been shooting his way since his mouth opened and he decided to entertain Romie's sarcasm. His nose crinkles and his head hangs slightly, retreating back into his chair, relinquishing control back to who they'd all agreed would lead the tough talk. Romie snickers quietly at the mental image of them practicing this up in their dorm the last couple of days, snickers more at the fact they had very foolishly thought she could immediately surrender and concede to their apparently favourite phrase.

"You cannot date Regulus Black"

For the very first time since their arrival, Romie raises her head, meeting their gazes. Meeting the gaze of her older brother, who's darkened scowl intensifies massively at her next reaction. Hands, tanned and lithe, flying up in the air, waving wildly as she gasps, feigning a high-pitch girly voice that Peter shudders at,