Prologue

Evangeline Ramirez, daughter of Mr. Carlos and Imani Ramirez,

and

Gordon Williams, son of Mr. Camden and Elizabeth Williams,

request the honor of your presence

at their wedding

on the third of September, two thousand twenty-four

at six o'clock in the afternoon, sundown

Central Park

New York, New York

Dinner & dancing to follow

Black tie required

Evangeline got herself ready. She looked into the mirror at herself, and sighed at her appearance, her white dress contrasting her Hispanic/African American complexion. She didn't want this wedding. She had been in an arranged relationship with Gordon Williams for 4 years now. She's been a rich girl her whole life, with high status. Her parents set her up with Gordon Williams since he had high money and status as well. If she were honest with herself, she hates Gordon. He's rude and snarky, and he doesn't even look that handsome.

"Evangelina, estimada, what are you doing?" Carlos, Evangeline's father asked her. Evangeline looked up at her father.

"Sorry. Is it time already?" She asked him as she finished putting her veil on.

"Si." He paused and looked at her, taking in the scenario.

"My little girl's all grown up." He smiled and went over to her. "I'm proud of you, you know?" Evangeline nodded.

"Si, I know, Papi." She answered him with a fake smile as the two interlocked arms. They walk out of the setup and down the aisle. Gordon had a smug smile on his face, but it looked like he was hiding or planning something. She walked up to him, and the wedding officiator got things started. He got through the jist of things, then spoke the main words.

"Do you, Gordon Williams, take Evangeline Ramirez as your lawfully wedded wife, through sickness, and in health, in- '' Abruptly, Gordon's mom Elizabeth stood up tall.

"Stop!!!" She hollered. Everyone looked at her. Evangeline looked at Elizabeth with concern, then back at Gordon. His smug smirk had grown as he saw his mother stand.

"I object! Evangeline is un-weddable!" Elizabeth continued, "She isn't beautiful enough on the outside or the inside for my precious sweet baby Gordon! Get her out of here!!" She hollered. She was about to go up to Evangeline and smack the shit out of her, but Camden, Gordon's father, kept her in place. Unfortunately, it didn't work for long. She stood up and stormed over to Gordon and dragged him away. Gordon waved goodbye to Evangeline as if he knew what Elizabeth was doing there. Everyone from Gordon's side of the family followed Elizabeth and Gordon, leaving Evangeline and her side of the family in utter shock.

"Evangeline, ¡qué carajo!" Imani, Evangeline's mother, spoke. "I can't believe you! We could have gotten more money, more fame, a higher status quo, you two could've had kids and made us more famous, and you had to ruin it all for us!" She started throwing plates all over the place. Carlos was red with anger as well.

"You're out of the house," he said. Evangeline's heart dropped.

"Wha-"

"YOU'RE OUT OF THE HOUSE!" Carlos hollered. Evangeline decided to speak up for herself.

"Mami, it's not my fault they left! You guys are so selfish and controlling! Plus, I'm not the only one in the family who can have children! You and Papi have had sex so many times, I'm surprised you're not pregnant with my umpteenth sibling! I'm not one to talk back to you guys, but this is the last straw! I'm DONE!" Evangeline hollered.

"If you're that pressed about it, then you'll be happy that we're kicking you out," Imani said angrily as she leaned on the table, using all her willpower to not throw it. Carlos starts muttering and mumbling to himself in Spanish.

"Uhm, when will I get paid-" The wedding officiator asked

"¡¡CALLARSE LA BOCA!!" Imani screamed. Evangeline groaned.

"Don't you DARE give us that attitude, mujer joven!" Carlos hollered, "You will apologize to us at once!"

"I will not!" Evangeline yells as she runs over to Carlos and bitchslaps him in the face. Carlos gets mad.

"DON'T YOU DARE DISOBEY ME, EVANGELINE!" Carlos grunted. Evangeline paused. She sighed and groaned.

"Okay, I'll let you guys kick me out. Let me get my things from the house, and I'll-"

"No. You're out. No bringing your things. Only what you have here. We don't want you in our house any longer." Imani said with anger.

"I can sue you for that."

Imani paused.

"FINE! But we are not having you over today. You're out of the house. You'll get your things tomorrow, but we refuse to see you in the house after that. And you aren't getting any more allowances."

"WHAT?!" Evangeline thought to herself. She sighed.

"Okay, okay. Fine."

She was driven around town and dumped at a shitty bar.

"Sorry," Evangeline said sarcastically.

"It's too late for 'sorry'. I can't believe how disappointed I am in you." Carlos bellowed. Evangeline grumbled.

"Learn what sarcasm is, you fat fuck!" She yelled as she slammed the door. Carlos drove around the block quickly and came back to the same spot she was standing in, just to drench Evangeline's bottom half of the dress with nasty New York puddle water. Evangeline gasped as she saw her dress ruined, and found gravel rocks, starting to throw them at the car, missing with each throw. She sighed heavily as she turned and looked at the horrible and rusty bar. She's lost her family, love life, and allowances, what else can she lose? She walks into the sad old bar to get a drink and wallow in her self-pity.