Chapter 1

Every time Ragnar's blade met Kjartan's body, Sihtric flinched

Every time Ragnar's blade met Kjartan's body, Sihtric flinched. He thought he would feel utter relief when his shameful father met his inevitable demise but each time the blood splattered across Ragnar, he couldn't help but feel a little more empty. His father never played a paternal role in his life, no role at all really, but even in his final moments Sihtric hoped there would be love in his eyes but his father didn't even spare him a glance.

Once Ragnar had been calmed by Uhtred, they had spotted the elder one of their sisters. Thyra stood ominously outside with her pack of dogs by the door of Dunholm's hall. Her pain showing in her words, blaming her brothers for abandoning her but there was no sign of Tove

"The price of my life...is yours" her dogs started growing louder than before but the priest Uhtred brought with him stood tall to protect his leader.

Even after his calming words to her, Thyra let out a loud scream and retreated to the cell she had resided in for so long.

Just after their sister's scream, the brothers heard others coming from behind Kjartan's men. Worrying it was their sister that hadn't been found yet, they rushed over in a flurry of noise and movement. The sound led them to the stables where they found the culprits behind the screams.

There was Tove, but not as her brothers (and now their companions) had expected. She was stood tall with a rapidly moving chest, sword in hand with her back to her new audience. Blood stained her yellow hair and pale skin, as it did with her jewel encrusted sword handle. Men were laying at her feet with their insides turned outwards and no life in their eyes; at least six of them.

"Tove?" Ragnar released a shaky breath of air

The girl turned around with tears welling in her blue orbs and shaking hands. Her hand let go of her sword, lifted to cover her mouth and shook even harder when she saw the men in front of her.

"Ragnar?" her voice was hoarse but hadn't changed in the years she was hostage.

Both eldest and youngest sibling took a step towards each other, still hesitant but the feeling quickly left their bodies as they tightly embraced one another. The joy and familiarity from them shine brighter than the sun. Hands curled viciously onto whatever they could grasp, in fear the person they were holding would disappear at any given moment.

"You finally came for us" Tove choked out, a sob reaching out.

"I'll never not find you. No matter how long it takes, we will be together."

This only made her clutch her brother tighter, finally feeling that sense of belonging me hadn't done in so long. Opening her eyes to look around, Tove spotted Brida and Uhtred who hadn't changed much since she last saw them but relief shone in their eyes.

Letting go of Ragnar, she moved towards the rest of her family, the ones that didn't perish. Her family was whole at last, even if it was missing some crucial members but now she was free of the demons that haunted her for so long.

That night the army feasted with a grand selections of meat and ale in celebration of their winning

That night the army feasted with a grand selections of meat and ale in celebration of their winning. Sat at the head of the main table was Ragnar and his closest company. The group were happy in their conversation, Thyra and Beocca still not present but everyone else was. Uhtred sat with his men surrounding him, Tove sandwiched between Sihtric and Brida while opposite Finan.

Tove felt the warmth radiated from each individual in their inner circle of warriors but none as strong as the thigh that was touching her own. The bastard and the seer whom had seen their parents deaths had many similarities, including the fact that they both enjoyed the warmth between their connected legs, wishing to have more of it to themselves. Stolen glances at each other went unnoticed by all but one scheming Irishman who wanted his friend to be happy, with anyone but the unreliable woman at Winchester.

Once the festivities were over and all had retired to their chambers, but the guards that protected their lords and ladies, Tove had her first dream in years. She was visited by Frigg, her divine goddess. Frigg showed Tove her family, Uhtred and Thyra in particular; she saw blood and fire, heard screams and galloping horses. The goddess's message was clear and only half wanted by the young woman.

She was to join Uhtred in his journeys but leave Ragnar behind.

For now.