VI

It wasn't a delight for any student to be called to the principal's office, so you can only imagine how Bryant felt when his teacher informed him he couldn't attend class.

Making small steps toward the imposing door down the hallway, Bryant pondered every conceivable reason for the principal's desire to speak to him. He didn't skip classes, his grades were decent, he hadn't been involved in any altercations, and he certainly didn't bully anyone. So, what could be the reason?

Bryant cautiously turned the knob of the principal's door, revealing a burst of color that seemed to defy the stern reputation of such places. The room was a kaleidoscope of vivid hues, reflecting the personality of the woman behind the desk.

The principal, a woman around fifty with vibrant red hair, sat with an infectious smile that could light up even the dullest corners. Her short stature didn't diminish the commanding presence she held. The walls were adorned with a mishmash of artwork, from children's drawings to motivational posters, creating an atmosphere that felt both welcoming and unconventional.

The desk, though cluttered with papers, showcased an array of vibrant desk accessories and quirky figurines, providing a stark contrast to the seriousness one might expect. As Bryant entered, the principal looked up, her eyes sparkling with warmth.

"Bryant, come in! Have a seat." The principal said.

The room, a reflection of the principal's lively character, instantly put Bryant at ease, as if the formalities of the office were temporarily suspended in this oasis of color and cheerfulness.

"Don't panic, you did nothing wrong. In fact I gained most of the college applications from your colleagues but still haven't gotten yours. I was wondering how such an amazing student like you didn't file any college application." She spoke in her warm and calm tone.

"I haven't decided yet." He managed to say without chocking.

"Well I can make you some suggestions." She put on her reading glasses and picked up a paper from her desk. She extended her arm, holding the paper at a distance to get a clearer view of the contents. "Considering your high grades in science classes I might suggest you something in science, scientific inquiry maybe. Not chemistry, I see you don't get along with it."

"I really don't know if that's a good idea."

"Maybe medicine. I see you have high grades in biology classes. Give it a thought I can recommend someone to help you decide. I can write you a paper of recommendation."

"I don't think my parents would agree with that kind of choice."

"What parents wouldn't be proud if their kid turned out being a doctor?"

"Mine." He bit his lower lip.

"I think your parents should be proud whatever you decide to do. What would they like you to do?"

"Management, law. Like them."

She sighed.

"I've known you for eight years now, that's not something I'd see you doing. However I might be wrong. Am I?"

"Honestly you are not." He chuckled. "How would you see me in the future?"

"Probably a physician. But that's for you to decide. I'm here whatever you need. My job is to help my students find the right path in life for them. I'll submit an application in your name at medical college here in Toronto. In case you wouldn't have suggestions for other cities?"

"Far from here. As far as possible from my parents."

"Then what do you say about Seattle?"

"It's a good start to apply to both Toronto and Seattle. I'll let you know if there's any idea that pops in my mind."

"Amazing! Now go back to class." She said looking back in the papers on her desk while he got up and turned around.

Before he could reach the door knob she spoke one more time "And if your parents have any objections they should call me. I'll handle them." She nodded.

As Bryant re-entered the classroom, Anya couldn't contain her curiosity, her eyes locking onto him with an inquisitive intensity. Sensing the unspoken questions in the air, Bryant took his seat, prompting Anya to lean in with an eagerness that couldn't be concealed.

"Bryant, what happened? Why did the principal want to see you?" She whispered.

"Nothing too exciting, just a brief chat about some school matters. No need to worry." Bryant, a subtle smile playing on his lips, decided to share the news without making it sound too serious.

Anya, though not entirely convinced, respected Bryant's response, realizing that some details were meant to remain within the walls of the principal's office. The classroom settled back into its routine, but Anya's curiosity lingered, leaving a trace of intrigue in the air.

Walking To the Moonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें