Chapter 18: Lava Eyes

It was the first day of my Junior year. I was feeling down, coasting through my new morning routine. I tore open the casings of the school supplies we got from Walmart the day before and shoved them in my new white Jansport backpack. The sun was barely rising.

How was school going to be different in Minnesota? Would the first day be the same as a first day in New York? I had plenty of those. New schools were a part of being a rebellious foster kid. Still, it burned me how nervous I was.

There was a different dynamic this time. How many of the students would be supernatural? How many of them from an enemy pack? Did I care about making friends? That seemed to be the least of my worries. I was starting a new school year with a school full of enemies I didn't even know yet.

Willow was in the bathroom brushing her teeth. I went to the adjacent sink and dropped my backpack on the floor, returning her smile with an uneasy one of my own. She rinsed the toothpaste from her teeth and dropped her toothbrush in the ceramic cup on the counter.

"Getting nervous, Ara?" she asked. I shrugged and took my tooth brush from the cup, spreading tooth paste over the bristles. Willow observed me from the mirror. I studied the delicate pattern in the beige towel hung on the hook on the door. "Well, we might have a few classes together. You and Jack must share a bunch of classes since you're in the same year and all," she said. My stomach made nervous flips before shoving the tooth brush into my mouth. I didn't want to have too many classes with him. "I wonder if the school knows you guys are mates." I glanced at her worriedly.

"I hope not," I said through toothpaste. Willow raised an eyebrow before a look of understanding crossed her face.

"Right, the school might think you guys would be distracted. They might separate you on purpose instead of putting you together..." She looked thoughtful. I sighed before rinsing my mouth and replacing the tooth brush in its rightful place.

"Girls!" Cassidy called from the bottom of the stairs. "Leaving in two minutes," she shouted. I wiped my mouth dry and grabbed my backpack. I followed Willow out just as Marilee exited her room with her black and red polka dot backpack draped over her shoulder. Jack, Downing, and Joseph were sitting on the couches by the front door, obviously waiting for us girls to get ready. I was surprised by the gender divide of the morning routine. Making a note to myself to get ready earlier the next day, I followed everyone out to the Suburban and on our way to the first day of junior year at East Central High.

As the car arrived at the parking lot of East Central High, teens were building up at the entrance of a gymnasium near the front gate. James stopped the car at a yellow curb near the gate and turned around to face us.

"Okay, guys," James said, "someone will need to show Ara how to get to the busing areas after school." I looked around before Willow shot her hand up excitedly, with a confirmation of her new duty. I nodded to her just as Downing opened his door and hopped out.

Here's to the first day, I thought to myself. Nervousness gripped my stomach, throwing it for uncomfortable flips.

I followed Downing out of the car into the humid air. Once everyone was out, we started walking over to the crowd gathered at the gym doors. I bit my lip, the only sign of anxiety I let show. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to Jack. My breath got caught in my throat and I turned away, looking to where we were headed. A few people glanced over at our group, a few lingered on us, seemingly on me.

"Not a lot of people move into Sandstone," Jack murmured into my ear. He was close. Really close. "They're just curious about a new person." I felt my face heat up, my eyebrows pinched in worry.

"They're not...?" I trailed off.

"Werewolves?" Jack asked, a mischievous grin on his face. My stupid heart reacted immediately, speeding up. "No," he said, "They're not." The smile tucked on his cheek settled into a content grin as he pulled me to his side. My eyes widened and I took a breath. I pushed at him gently, away from me.