The Royal Ball

It was something unusual to observe. Something even more unusual to be a part of. A family that ate every meal together, held hands, and prayed. I didn't think I would ever be a real part of the praying business, but I could learn to appreciate the cohesiveness this family had created.

"Amen," they sounded. Still, I thought it odd that they could believe in a God that allowed young children to go through the pain of a horrific transformation.

After breakfast James offered to drive Willow and I to Pine City to get some clothes. The drive was surprisingly long, well over an hour. I didn't realize how far into the middle of nowhere the Willis's lived. Where I now lived.

"Thanks, James!" Willow called to him as we got out of the small Honda.

"Just give me a call when you girls are done. I'll be at Caribou Coffee," he said. Willow agreed and James drove off down the road. I stared skeptically at the large superstore labeled 'Walmart.'

"Well, come on," Willow called, having already walked ahead of me. I took a sharp breath and followed quickly behind, an out of place look on my face.

"How about this?" Willow called over the door, another dress being tossed over. I caught it easily and held it up in front of myself to look it over. It was white with a thin lace overlay.

"I'm not sure I'm cut out for all this girly attire," I called to Willow honestly. "I would really prefer some jeans and t-shirts."

I opened the door of the dressing stall. Willow stood there with a pout on her lips.

"Fine," she conceded, "but you need a couple of dresses. If you're not going to be cute Luna, then you're going to be a badass Luna." I raised an eyebrow as Willow developed a mischievous expression on her face. She pulled my hand to another part of the store.

When we walked out of Walmart, I was fashioned in black boots that reached four to five inches below my knees, a pair of dark jeans that clung tightly to my thighs, a red tank top and a grey shawl that went over it. I wasn't uncomfortable, so that was good. And my outfit was Willow-Approved.

I had a bag of clothes in each hand, as did Willow. James honked the horn to get our attention when he pulled up alongside the curb.

"Find things you liked?" James asked. I couldn't tell if he was sarcastic seeing as the amount of bags we had. Willow sent him a huge grin.

"Absolutely, we did." She responded. I blushed. I had felt bad spending so much, but Willow pressed that I needed a good amount of clothes before starting school. I easily had enough clothes to not repeat a single item for a week.

We piled our bags into the trunk of the vehicle and began our journey back to Sandstone.

When we were pulling into the driveway of the manner, Jack and Cassidy were standing on the porch. James seemed worried, his face scrunched up confused.

"No, she's not going," Jack said harshly. I shut the car door behind me, wondering what all the ruckus was about.

"She doesn't have a choice, Jack." Cassidy hissed back. It was clear they were upset with each other. Willow opened the trunk of the car and pulled out two of the bags of clothes and James grabbed the other two. I walked over to the developing fight.

"Why do I feel like you two are talking about me?" I asked, an eyebrow raised. Both faces turned towards me, anger lit behind both their eyes. Cassidy began.

"You're going to have to meet the council," she said, "Tonight." She said roughly. I frowned at her, her tone making me want to lash out, but Jack jumped in.