Chapter Five

Sadly, Bertha's Santorini dreams would not come true, as she would pass away two days later. I took it upon myself to attend her funeral and give her eulogy.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, family and friends of Bertha Thompson. Bertha was a simple woman, working at the last Kmart on Earth, when I met her just over a week ago. I didn't know her well, but according to everyone who worked for her, she was a loving and caring woman and a kind manager. She greeted every employee with a smile as they clocked in, and a warm goodbye as they clocked out. She loved her family and she loved her job dearly. She's a credit to managers everywhere and a credit to Marine Company Freight and Kmart. I know she's looking down on all of us with a smile on her face. I promise you, Bertha, I will finish the job you started. I will give my children a Kmart Christmas, just like you must've given yours and your grandchildren, and my mother gave me, so many years ago in Soho. You will be missed, dearly. As for the rest of you, I want to buy you a Santorini vacation. It's what Bertha would've wanted for you. You can pick up the vouchers from Kmart's new manager, Trent Bass, on your way out."

On my way out, Trent stopped me. He said, "Thanks for the promotion, Boss! But who's gonna take my place as weekend maintenance guy?"

"I'll transfer an employee from one of the local MCF stores," I said. "For now, you just need to honor your beloved manager's memory."

"Sounds good," said Trent.

One of Bertha's little grandkids stopped me and said, "Hey Mr. Hugo, my name's Tyrone, and when I grow up, I wanna work at Kmart too!"

"Stay in school," I said, "and you just might get the chance to do that someday!"