Chapter Six

By that Halloween, the store was open again. We held a trunk-or-treat with Bertha's old church to bring in some traffic. Kmart was thriving again, just like I remembered. Kmart merch was flying off the shelves, kids were enjoying the indoor playground, and the Nassau County Democratic Party was enjoying the vegan lunch counter while discussing how to knock off George Santos. KCafe was in the works as well.

Ding proved to be an even better salesman than usual after taking the required MCF classes, and soon we were having to bring in new furniture almost daily.

Emily, an IT major at the local community college, soon became bored with the lack of customers using the registers instead of the QR codes, so I gave her a new position: tech support for the QR codes that took her foot traffic away.

I obviously underestimated Trent the day I met him, as he proved to be an excellent manager.

I put up a plaque to honor Bertha, the woman who just wouldn't quit on Kmart, in the office. With an outpouring of support for her, soon we had full MC-Eff Cancer boxes in every corner of the store. The children at the local St. Jude were happy to get $25,000 worth of toys for their playroom.

We set up the Christmas section right as the store reopened, as we do for all of the MCF properties the day after Halloween. I took the liberty of buying five used Micro Machine sets off of Ebay to sell in the store just like old times, packaged up in the largest size of Ziploc bags. They were gone within the hour of putting them out.